Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gully

tacoma clutch problem!

9 posts in this topic

ok so the truck drives fine. shifts gear w/o a problem. my specific problem is that when the clutch is released its making a strange noise like one of those metal snappy things that you press in and it snaps. seems kinda like a spring or lever is being held up or releasing early. looked at the truck this morning and seems to be on the engine side of the fire wall. anybody got any insight??

Unless things have changed drastically over time, all's that's in there is a pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, and disc, oh and a flywheel on the engine side. At least that's what I remember from gutting a few manuals years ago. Pressure plate has springs and fingers that are actuated by the throw out bearing when you push down on the clutch pedal. Bad throw out bearing will sing when clutch is depressed with the engine running, no noise if truck is off. Hydraulic or mechanical clutch, although that's probably not the issue. Sounds like you need to look in and see what the issue may be. Any access plate or removable cover in the bell housing? Maybe at the very bottom? Sorry but that's all the value I can add.

i know the earlier pickups had issues with the clutch pedal bracket flexing over time and eventually cracking...other wise id say its a hydraulic ussues or throw out bearing...

View PostX2...

If the trucks not running, how can you hear the noise?

Chris

because its making the sound when the clutch is being released with the truck off.

View PostUnless things have changed drastically over time, all's that's in there is a pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch fork, and disc, oh and a flywheel on the engine side. At least that's what I remember from gutting a few manuals years ago. Pressure plate has springs and fingers that are actuated by the throw out bearing when you push down on the clutch pedal. Bad throw out bearing will sing when clutch is depressed with the engine running, no noise if truck is off. Hydraulic or mechanical clutch, although that's probably not the issue. Sounds like you need to look in and see what the issue may be. Any access plate or removable cover in the bell housing? Maybe at the very bottom? Sorry but that's all the value I can add.

thanks craig! yeah sounds like the pressure plate. cant see an access plate. gonna look at it summore..

If it is a manual Clutch Look at the linkage bar on the firewall in my old CJ it was a hollow bar with the linkage bar in side it. What happened is the one of the bolts broke that held the hollow bar in place. This is also a spot that normally needs to be grased. Check for a fitting on the bar and add grease. also if the through out bearing needs grease it sometimes sounds like a wind up toy when depressed.