Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wifehatesmefishing

Need some tips for Florida

8 posts in this topic

Want my best odds for good fishing in the Middle keys. I'm renting a Cobra Fish n Dive for the week. I fish in NY/NJ from a Hobie usually at night, but will be paddling this week in Florida. Where to go? Is it spot burning if you say "7 mile bridge east side"? What techniques? Anyway, if you have some knowlege and time please let me know. I'm really psyched for this trip, have been jonesing for some fishing all winter..

There was a post that was started here on Florida. I just came back 2 weeks ago and wrote some stuff that may be helpful to you.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=642822

Best bet for me around the middle keys was the bridges @ dusk and into the black of night on the outgoing for quality shots at Snook and Tarpon. Just beware of Googans. Biscayne Bay, North Of The Keys in Homestead, About a 2 hour ride from Marathon, had the best flats fishing for Bonefish, but winds put a damper on hitting everyday. If the winds had cooperated there, I would have been there the entire time.

Fishing maps from Top Spot will come in handy. If you combine that with a kayak launch spot and the best wind protected area that you can find, you will come up with a plan. That's what I did.

Also, when all else fails to find Tarpon, Snook, Permit, there are always hungry Barracuda roaming the flats and Lady Fish, that is your bailout. Some are big, very big, and some are small. There pesky, and at times a pain in the arse when your pitching for something else, but they will put a smile on your face while you wait for something else to come along to throw at.

Bring wire and Lip Gripper and Pliers. Treat em like blues and you will be all set.

Any hard Jerk Bait with flash will get their attention as well as top water in the calm.

View PostWhat techniques?

In addition to the other posts, catch a small fish, put it on a large circle hook & throw it back in. Big fish eat little fish! drool.gif

The islands around No Name Key is also a great fishing area. There is a guy at the small marina next to the No Name Key Bridge that will haul you and your yak out in his boat then you fish back. His name is Capt Bill Keogh and he wrote a great book, The Florida Keys Paddling Guide.

Thanks for all the tips. Just got back and did pretty well, primarily caught snapper but some larger barracuda as well. It was windy almost every day which was a bit annoying as the current always seemed to be with the wind. I missed my Hobie, much easier to fish with your hands free to hold position without an anchor.