Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eagles Dare

FYI for smokers

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

The federal tax on cigs is going up 62¢ a pack on April 1st (no, it's not an April fools joke). Plus most manufacturers are taking a 10¢ a pack increase this month.

I'd guess the retail price will go up almost a buck. Maybe that'll give you the incentive you need to quit. If not, you might want to stock up before April.

View Post Maybe that'll give you the incentive you need to quit. If not, you might want to stock up before April.

Don't hold your breath (no pun intended). I think people would still by them if they were $10/pack (if they aren't already). I know price never made me stop. I only switched to the brands with the "buy 2, get one free" deals.

Thank God I DID quit. I can;t imagine the amount of money I went through on that habit for 10 years! mad.gif

NYC some places are getting $10+ 1 pack. Others are around $8-9 for 1 pack. Thank god I don't live in the city paying those high prices. I'm working on quiting. I'm down to 1/2 to 1 pack a day. Closer to the 1 pack a day. but it's better than what I use to be @ 2 packs + a day.

When I quit a two-pack-a-day, 30 year habit in 1998 I made a point of putting away an almost equal amount of $$ in a slush fund. Over the years that has bought me a VanStaal, numerous cheaper pieces of tackle, and some very nice musical instruments.

Guess I have to up the ante in my fund now for some even better toys.biggrin.gif

You know. I hate smoking. I'm very happy that I quit and I wish everyone would (with a few exceptions for those who would improve the world by leaving it and deserve to suffer doing so). However, I seriously resent the way that the government exploits addicts. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the gov't used some of the $ they get from the taxes on nicotine to fund the tobacco companies to research more addictive additives so that they always have a source of sin tax revenue.

I sound like Capper don't I?

View PostYou know. I hate smoking. I'm very happy that I quit and I wish everyone would (with a few exceptions for those who would improve the world by leaving it and deserve to suffer doing so). However, I seriously resent the way that the government exploits addicts. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the gov't used some of the $ they get from the taxes on nicotine to fund the tobacco companies to research more addictive additives so that they always have a source of sin tax revenue.

nah-the story is missing a 16 year old wink.gif

View PostYou know. I hate smoking. I'm very happy that I quit and I wish everyone would (with a few exceptions for those who would improve the world by leaving it and deserve to suffer doing so). However, I seriously resent the way that the government exploits addicts. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the gov't used some of the $ they get from the taxes on nicotine to fund the tobacco companies to research more addictive additives so that they always have a source of sin tax revenue.

Not bad, not bad at all. clapping.gifbiggrin.gif

But to rival the real Capper, you're gonna need evidence, not just speculation.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if your speculation was true, it sounds like something they would've done in the past, they've become much smarter now.

Nowadays they prefer a hands off approach that reduces the paper trail and gives them plausible deniability. A particular favorite is the use of thought reform via the mass media.

In this case their goal is to increase teen smoking, and they simply use reverse psychology to achieve this...Basically, they put out ****loads of "anti-smoking" advertisements telling kids not to smoke, knowing this will just make them want to smoke more.

The evidence for this theory comes from one of their own commercials (which aired very briefly about 10 years ago)...In this commercial, they attempted to demonize the tobacco industry and show that the industries anti-smoking ads aimed at teens were a farce, by exposing one of the internal memos from a cigarette manufacturer.

The tobacco company memo stated something to the effect of: "Our studies have shown that anti-smoking ads actually increase the desirability of cigarettes among teens. So creating these ads ourselves would be effective from both a public relations standpoint and a marketing standpoint."

Hmmmmm. cwm40.gif

It was pretty obvious (at least to me), why this ad did not air for very long. cwm15.gif

By the way, these taxes apply to pre-made cigarettes only. You can avoid these taxes by making your own cigarettes.

There's dozens of tobacco varieties to choose from, including "gourmet" types...The overall cost probably comes out to less than a $1 per pack.

Google "cigarette machine" or "cigarette injector". wink.gif

More proof of the complete idiots we put in charge.I plan on quitting soon,anyways,and this could be the catalyst.

My home state of RI has the highest state tax on tobacco in the nation(At least we did),the US govt makes huge $ on tobacco.So the best way to make $ is to price the products out of the consumers financial reach?Dumbasses,all of them.When enough people quit,and big tobacco is in trouble,will they then grant a bailout?Too funny.

View PostThe tax should be $62.00smile.gif

No way. There are people who have the restraint to not abuse tobacco. But of course, those with self discipline are always made to flip the tab for others.