Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tombro

Sleep Paralysis

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

OK, in keeping with the other threads...Ever experience this one?

You are asleep, can open your eyes, but cannot move a muscle. You may even hallucinate. Used to happen to me during afternoon naps, and is frightening until you know what it is.cwm31.gif And I saw some weird stuff sometimes.

Has not happened for a looong time now. Anyone?

Yescwm31.gif long time ago.One night I woke up on my back and felt like a massive weight was on top of me. All of my limbs were frozen to the bed. I felt like I was dying until I "resigned" myself to it and the "weight" passed through me and I could move again. Never happened again.

I've had it happen to me. Not very funcwm31.gif . It used to be called Old Hag Syndrome. In some cases it feels like somebody/somthing is holding you down. Cultures through out history believed it was a demon or witch trying to attack and posses them. Neurologists think that it's your brain allowing you to be in a state of partial wakefulness when your body is still "asleep". Some have even used this phenomenon to explain alien abduction expierences.

It happens to me a lot, and it is never fun.

We are supposed to be asleep before paralysis sets in, but I go into paralysis many times when trying to fall asleep, and I find lying on my side can help a bit. Being on my back makes it come on more often and worse (when I get the syndrome).

I used to wake up and see things like disembodies hands on the bed tablecwm13.gif

Once...death came to see me one nite...I laid there....eyes open and could not move..............then with every ounce of my spirit I jumped up out of bed and kicked his a$$......he has not come back

Aha! Knew y'all would be coming out of the woodwork on this topic.

What made it most scary for me was that it happened before the internet, the information age, and I did not know what the heck it was for the longest time. Until...a college professor spoke about it, and mentioned he experienced it, too.

Whew!

View PostOK, in keeping with the other threads...Ever experience this one?

You are asleep, can open your eyes, but cannot move a muscle. You may even hallucinate. Used to happen to me during afternoon naps, and is frightening until you know what it is.cwm31.gif And I saw some weird stuff sometimes.

Has not happened for a looong time now. Anyone?

Freaky deaky. Was there hallucinogens involved?

They're also called Night Terrors. Some of mine felt like I was being tossed around like a rag doll. My fav was thinking I had finally woken up from the Sleep Paralysis only to be hit with it again. Even when I knew it was not real and tried to fight against it.

View PostIsn't that a form of apnea?? O2 gets so low that you freeze up. If you don't wake and get yourself restarted you die, right??

cwm27.gifLuckily Mike... No!

Sleep paralysis is something everyone is supposed to go into before REM sleep. It is what keeps us from beating the crap out of ourselves or or bedmates.

You hear stories of folks who do not get deep paralysis, and they have done damage. This is not a good thing, and I have heard of deep bruises and cracked bones.

The problem for me, is it can come on early, before I am unconscious enough not to feel it, or I wake up enough while still paralyzed and feel like mentioned... Like a GIANT blob of cement is on you and you can't move or breathe.

When I would get fevers as a kid, I had this dream of being chased by a giant sphere of rock. I was endlessly running in the deep shadow, where it nearly came in contact with the ground.

I believe this signified the fight with the fever... It was hard after me, but I would be able to run and just make it to safety.

It was always a scary dream, and I would awake sweating and spooked.