Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Chilly, Windy Friday

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Not terribly cold, but that wind bites a bit......supposed to calm down later today, and for the week we are looking at typical average February temps, and no storms on the horizon....smile.gif

So, whatchya making? (and remember, it's Valentine's day tomorrow.....)

Tonight is take out pizza....artichokes and sausage.

Tomorrow, we are FINALLY going out for Donna's birthday dinner (against my better judgment, cause V-Day is never a good night to go out to dinner, but what can I do?.....). We bailed last week, cause the venison rack wasn't happening....adn it ain't gonna happen......I e-mailed the chef asking if he could get it, and his response was that they are currently going for ~$30 a pound, so he would have to charge $45 a plate, and that won't fly at his place.

Soooo.......we are going to one of two alternate restaurants....she hasn't decided which one yet.

For Sunday and Monday (no solo night this week, as Monday is a bank hoilday and Donna has off).....one night will be roast turkey....picked a 10 pound frozen one up this AM at Shaw's for $0.99/lb.....so it depends if I can get it de-frosted in time for Sunday.....hopefully, it will be thaw enough tomorrow to go in the brine and then be cooked on Sunday....if not, we will have it Monday.

The other day, if I can talk her into it, will be lasagna. That would be great, cause between left-overs from that and the left-over turkey, those would cover two additional meals later in the week.

And then I need one more.....Stop and Shop has Porterhouse steaks for $4.99/lb, so if the weather co-ops and I can find some decent ones, am thinking those on the grill one night. Otherwise, we'll have to think up something else.

What are YOU making?

Got half a deboned chicken in the fridge - probably gonna roast it up with some potatoes, leeks, and mushrooms, maybe do the leeks and mushrooms in a cream sauce or something...

Leaving early tomorrow morning with the kids for a long weekend away. Donna's Valentine's gift is an empty house, assorted bottles of Guinness and Murphy's Stout, and sandwhich fixings for the weekend.

I'm roasting a turkey at my sisters house tomorrow night. We have cranberry apple conserve and stuffing in the freezer to go with it. She'll supply some other side dishes and beverages. Sunday will be a bagel on the road with my BIL as we travel to the Salmon River to hunt for some steelhead trout. We'll work our way thorugh T-day sandwhiches, hot thermos coffee, and assorted snacks for 48 hours before we return to see if my sister and mother survived 2 days trapped in a house with 6 children. biggrin.gif

Started the pickles for the fling. But now I don't really feel like cooking anything the rest of the weekend. I took a steak out for dinner, probally cook that in the skillet with some onions and peppers. Tommorrow night I'm not sure. Really have nobody to cook dinner for, may go with the traditional family plan and do heart shaped meat loaf and pink mash potatoes.

Ginger pork stir fry tonight. Saturday the kids will be home, so it might be pizzas and grinders. Wife's gonna make cheesecake as per request for our daughter's birthday. Sunday, we host the after-hike food and drink-athon, so it's a hearty chicken vegetable soup with whatever fresh bread looks good at the bakery Sunday morning. shaky.gif

i'm heading off skiing tomorrow. going to bring some food up to my friends cabin. have a pork shoulder smoking right now for some s.c. bbq sandwiches. He has a brisket lined up for his smoker tomorrow . drool.gif

i was down in God's country today, Delmont, NJ. On the way back I stopped at a nice Polish deli in Runnemede and picked up a load of great stuff. Nice Blood Sausage (kiszka) icon14.gif and hunters kielbasa (kabanos). And a load of other good stuff.

when i started unwrapping the meats at home, my son, (who still refuses to speak redface.gif ) started bowing... his way of saying thank you very much, and then he dove in smile.gif

although not as stocked as the places I am used to in Linden, it was a great find and the woman running it was very nice... she threw in some extra goodies do to my large purchase cwm27.gif unheard of up north.

Polish American Deli

125 N Black Horse Pike

Runnemede, NJ 08078

View Post

Tomorrow, we are FINALLY going out for Donna's birthday dinner (against my better judgment, cause V-Day is never a good night to go out to dinner, but what can I do?.....).

Talk about a "I told you so....".....cwm27.gif

Last night at about 4:30, I called her first restaurant of choice to make reservations for today at 5:30......

"Sorry, the first we can get you in is 10 PM"

Um, yeah, right.....

Called up the second place....

"Sorry, first we can get you in is 9 PM"......

Um, no..........

After that it finally got thru her pretty little head that it was not a good day to go out.....places would be packed and loud, chefs would be overwhelmed and thus the food not up to par, etc.......

We have reseravtions at her first choice for Sunday at 5:30.........so tonight is lasagna.........smile.gif