Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Roach

Recommend a parabolic 10' 1-4 oz...

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

SSU 120 1M a little Stiffer then GSB 120 1L but not as stiff as GSB 120 1M. I have the factory rod (ss101ms) and it can throw all the low end stuff of the GSB 120 1L, 3/4oz bucktails and bombers and such, But I can still wale out a 3oz diamond jig hard and can throw a 3 3/4+oz Cowboy if need be. Sweet spot is around 1 3/4oz - 2 1/2oz wink.gif

Problem with the SSU is not many people built them or have a lot of experience with them. The GSB's have been around 20 years. So be prepared for lots of varying opinions. I would wage money in a few years from now the SSU 120 1M will go down as the most versitile blank yet.

Get in contact with Redhawk19. He has built a bunch of them as well as fished them and one of the few builders who has intiment knowledge of them wink.gif

ditchjigger as well has iniment knowledge of the SSU's... Not sure if he has the 120 1M I know he has the 120 1MH but worth a shot asking his opinion. He seems to have a wealth of knowledge of every rod there ever was. wink.gifbeers.gif

in order:

gsb1201m,

gsb1321m,

ssu1201m (slightly faster, might not handle 3-4 as well),

xra1205 (moderate/fast). best pure plugging rod in 10', but doesn't throw 1-2 ounce that well and doesn't pencil pop that well. plenty of backbone.

View PostIf Stewie sees this thread, I'm going to just get the biggrin.gif because he's a big fan of the SB 121 3M. I have a hard time with the weight though, at close to 12 ounces.

That's the one! biggrin.gif

View PostIf Stewie sees this thread, I'm going to just get the biggrin.gif because he's a big fan of the SB 121 3M. I have a hard time with the weight though, at close to 12 ounces.

biggrin.gif You posted a few before me, that's what I said, but my friend is not Stewie. 12oz is nothing, plus that rod will last you forever (glass)

If you can find a Lami SSB ("S" glass) even in a 136-3M and cut it, it is an amazing blank. Soft and very parabolic, but the first fish I caught on mine (a birthday gift from my brother) was a 38 lb striper from Surfside beach, Nantucket. It was on a Gibbs "sunset" bottle plug in the 2-1/2 oz?

Still have the plugsmile.gif

Anyhoo, to stop waxing on an old memory... the rod has plenty of power to handle a good fish, but would be too soft for a "Ditch" rod.

The SSU has a somewhat parabolic action, but if you are looking for that slower action, especially for working plugs (pencils and needles in particular) the SSU is bar far the better material.

View PostTry 11 1/2 oz. cwm31.gif

Thats wrong and they need to fix there catalog.

The SSU 120 1L rated 1-3oz weighs 6 1/8oz

Butt Diamter is: .760 and tip size 8

SSU 120 1M rated 1-4oz

Butt diameter is: .780 and has a tip size: 9

The SSU 120 1MH rated 2-6oz weighs 8 1/2oz

Butt Diameter is: 1.030 and tip size 9 or 10 I think

So as you can see there is no way the SSU 120 1M weighs 11 1/2oz which is clearly a mistake.

Most likely it weighs around 7oz wink.gif

The SSU 120 1M feels like half the weight of a GSB 120 1M and for some reason feels slightly lighter or around the same weight as the GSB 120 1L wink.gifbeers.gif

I thought that looked fishy - I noticed it the other day and it jumped out at me - didn't seem right that the SSU would weigh about as much as the SSB, but everywhere I checked had it listed at 11 1/2.

headscratch.gif