Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XxXplosive

reel reccomendation?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I just did a cod trip yesterday and used a penn 25 gls and felt like I got my butt whipped with that slow reel. I really thought I would be ok with this reel since its 4.3:1 gear ratio, which isn't that slow and its a strong reel.

It took me forever to get the sinker + rig up and killed my arms. My question is should I be looking for a reel with a higher gear ration such as a shimano torium 30 which has 6.3:1 gear ratio, or something a bit slower like a daiwa saltiga 30 which has 5.4:1 gear ratio?

yea I have been searching on the site and everyone likes the saltigas, I was looking on the net and see that shimano has the tyrnos which looks like a nice 2 speed reel for about the same price as the saltiga. Anyone use this reel before? I think the trynos 16II would be good for cod, or will the 20II be good?

The Tyrnos is a great reel however it is imo too heavy for this application. Depending on your budget, the Saltigas and the Shimano Trinidads would be excellent choices. For about 1/2 the price you can choose between the Saltists (4.9:1 or 6.4:1), the Toriums, or the Fin-Nor offshore conventional reels. The Saltists now have a levelwind version as well.

I use Saltists and Saltigas. Both are excellent for fishing cod whether in shallower water, or in the deep when jigging. I use the 30's. Both have awesome gears and will get the job done. Deciding factor between the two is the price. You can't go wrong with either.

Spig

thanks for the replies guys, so you guys think even the shimano tyrnos 16II id too big?? the only reason I was thinking about it was for the 2 speed, or maybe even a Avet MJX 2 speed? The only reason I was thinking about a bigger reel was because want to do a MA cod trip within the next 2 weeks and want a reel that will be good enough for those waters.

Gear ratio isn't everything, you also need to consider the size of the gears. The Penn reel you used doesn't have the torque to haul fish and lead from the deep. Buy one the lower geared Saltists. You can use it for everything from cod and offshore sea bass to tilefishing and tuna jigging.

very good point Raekwon, the reel didn't feel like it had much torque, now my question is will the high speed saltist or saltiga be good enough? I would like to have the high speed when I want to bring up my rig+lead up.

I really like the torium 30 for bait fishing cod out east. Even though the gear ratio is very fast at 6:1, the reel is very powerful and has great cranking power. When it's time to move, you can get your rig up in no time without breaking a sweat. I guess the reel has had issues with the anti-reverse breaking, but I've had no issues with mine and I hear that it's been addressed on the newer reels. I also have a saltiga 30 and while it is very smooth and powerful, I prefer the torium.

Just My .02-

Look around (the internet) for an old Penn 2/0. Reels em in EFFORTLESSLY!!

It's not a wide reel, and It's capacity is fine for fishing depths for up to around 150, if you are using a big rod you could go up to a 3/0(black).

They are not the lightest reels in weight, but won't destroy ya either.

Simply a winch and last forever! My buddy Joe used a Shimano Torium, and he likes his, but it's a fast reel (less torque?) .

One day I'll break down and buy an "expensive" reel, cause I do feel a little inferior when looking around the rod holders of a party boat.

Actually I have some Newells which I like for their lighweight larger size reels, and I'm actually meaning to try maybe a Saltist in a 4.9:1 to try for cod and blacks.

PS- Who'd ya fish with Wed? I was out as well.

Mario biggrin.gif

I was out last weekend and got my arse handed to me also using a saltiga 20. The 20 and 30 are the same, you need a 30T or 40 if using a saltiga.

Or if your gonna spend money a Accurate 870 2 speed or Avet LX,JX 2 speed. That way you have your high speed to check bait and low to bring the fish in.

Your reel should have been fine. You want a reel with a lower than 5/1 and large line recovery. So i really dont know what happened to you.confused.gif