Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemesis

quickies

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

There was a cool article in the times yesterday on quick meals made by immigrants in NY. Always on the look out for quick meals during the week, it caught my eye. I whipped up the hungarian lentil stew last night, came out nice. I did have a couple of smoked pork chops in the freezer that I added. Can't wait to try the Korean pancakes icon14.gif here they are...

Hungarian Lentil Stew

Published: February 10, 2009

Adapted from Renata Olah

Time: 1 hour, plus optional overnight soaking

1 1-pound bag brown lentils

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika

3 bay leaves

2 cups whole-fat sour cream

3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons milk

1/2 teaspoon salt, or as needed

1 tablespoon light brown sugar

2 tablespoons brown mustard, or as needed

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or as needed.

1. If desired, place lentils in a bowl with water to cover, and soak overnight; this step may be skipped, but makes lentils more digestible.

2. Place a large (5- to 6-quart) saucepan over medium-low heat, and add oil and onion. Sauté until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and paprika, and sauté until garlic is fragrant, 1 minute more. Add lentils, 8 cups water and bay leaves. Increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes; add water as needed if mixture seems too thick.

3. When lentils are tender, in a small bowl stir together sour cream, flour and milk. Add to lentils and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Add salt, brown sugar, mustard and lemon juice, adjusting amounts as needed for a slightly piquant flavor. If desired, remove and discard bay leaves. Serve hot.

Yield : 6 to 8 servings.

Korean Pancakes (Pa Jun)

Adapted from Ji Yoon Yoo

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:

3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, optional

Pinch of hot red pepper flakes.

For the pancakes:

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 large eggs

1/2 cup all-purpose flour or rice flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup very finely chopped vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, green beans, scallions) or chopped cooked leftover meat (chicken, beef, pork) or both.

1. For dipping sauce: In a small bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar (if using) and red pepper flakes. Mix well and set aside.

2. For pancakes: Fill a pitcher or glass with ice and 1/2 cup or more cold water; set aside. Place a small (6- to 8-inch) nonstick or well-seasoned skillet over medium-low heat. Coat bottom with vegetable oil and allow to heat.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs just until frothy. Add flour and salt and whisk to combine. Add vegetables or meat and stir to blend. Add 1/2 cup ice water and mix again to blend.

4. Fill a 1/2-cup measuring cup with batter; pour into hot pan. Allow to sit until browned and crispy on bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip pancake and cook another 2 minutes. Place on a serving plate and keep warm (or set aside to serve at room temperature). Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with dipping sauce, tearing or cutting off pieces of pancake to dip in sauce with fingers or chopsticks.

Yield : 2 to 4 appetizer servings (3 pancakes).

Chicken With Yogurt (Laban Makoud)

Adapted from Jabeen Ahmed

Time: 25 minutes

1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into serving pieces (with breast quartered)

1 tablespoon ground cardamom

1 teaspoon ground white pepper, or as needed

1 teaspoon salt, or as needed

2 cups thick whole-milk yogurt, like Greek yogurt

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 to 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds, for garnish.

1. In a 4- to 5-quart saucepan, combine chicken pieces, cardamom, 1 teaspoon white pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Add just enough cold water to cover. Place over high heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partly covered, until chicken is opaque throughout, 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Using a fork, transfer chicken to a platter. Remove 2 cups broth and pour into a clean saucepan. Add yogurt and cornstarch, and place over low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, then add chicken and allow to thoroughly reheat for a few more minutes. Adjust salt and pepper as needed, and stir to coat chicken with sauce. Serve garnished with toasted pine nuts or almonds.

Yield : 4 servings.

Egg Tortilla Soup (Sopa de Tortilla de Huevos)

Adapted from Gladys Puglla-Jimenez

Time: 25 minutes

Vegetable oil

1/2 cup small, dry tubular or shell-shaped pasta, such as penne or conchiglie, optional

4 scallions, thinly sliced

1/2 teaspoon salt, or as needed

1 teaspoon adobo powder

2 large all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice

1 2-ounce piece of queso blanco, grated

1 large Anaheim pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1/4 cup whole milk, or as needed

1/3 cup cooked white rice, optional.

1. If desired, place 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. When oil is hot, add pasta and fry until lightly browned. Remove immediately and drain on paper towels. Set aside pan with oil in it.

2. Place a medium (5- to 6-quart) soup pot over medium-low heat, and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add scallions and sauté until softened, about 30 seconds. Add salt, adobo powder, potatoes, queso blanco and fried pasta, if using. Add just enough water to cover. Cover and simmer until potatoes and pasta are tender, about 15 minutes.

3. While soup is cooking, place a small skillet over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add Anaheim pepper and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs and cook until firm, another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove omelet from pan and cut into 1-inch-wide slices.

4. When potatoes are tender, add milk, omelet slices and, if desired, rice, to pot. Simmer gently until reheated, and serve hot.

Yield : 4 servings.

i used to work with a dishwasher who would make us a soup very similar to that one. it was awesome and i'd always ask him to make it whenever we were slow.

the stew was very nice (with the smoked pork chops). They thicken it the same way a lot of polish recipes call for... sour cream and flour. I love having lentils around.

I am really looking forward to making the pancakes. I had them once when getting korean bbq and they were great.

View Post

Korean Pancakes (Pa Jun)

Adapted from Ji Yoon Yoo

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:

3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, optional

Pinch of hot red pepper flakes.

For the pancakes:

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

2 large eggs

1/2 cup all-purpose flour or rice flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup very finely chopped vegetables (asparagus, broccoli, green beans, scallions) or chopped cooked leftover meat (chicken, beef, pork) or both.

1. For dipping sauce: In a small bowl, combine vinegar, soy sauce, sugar (if using) and red pepper flakes. Mix well and set aside.

2. For pancakes: Fill a pitcher or glass with ice and 1/2 cup or more cold water; set aside. Place a small (6- to 8-inch) nonstick or well-seasoned skillet over medium-low heat. Coat bottom with vegetable oil and allow to heat.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs just until frothy. Add flour and salt and whisk to combine. Add vegetables or meat and stir to blend. Add 1/2 cup ice water and mix again to blend.

4. Fill a 1/2-cup measuring cup with batter; pour into hot pan. Allow to sit until browned and crispy on bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip pancake and cook another 2 minutes. Place on a serving plate and keep warm (or set aside to serve at room temperature). Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with dipping sauce, tearing or cutting off pieces of pancake to dip in sauce with fingers or chopsticks.

Yield : 2 to 4 appetizer servings (3 pancakes).

Finally got around to this one for a quick, light dinner (I tripled the recipe) Had some ham from easter and broccoli in the fridge. Takes only a couple of minutes to whip up and is a nice change-up in the routine. icon14.gif

(I was even able to do it with a child in one hand and camera in the other smile.gif )

Those pancakes remind me of a lunch I had in Japan. You sat in a booth barely big enough to hold 4. The table was a gridle with a 2 inch wood edge where you could park your beer. You ordered your batter ingredients and they would come back with the goodies. The main vegetable was shredded cabbage, and mushrooms, shrimp, octopus, onions, meat- whatever they think you ordered. They pour it out in your corner and and you a spatula. The dipping sauce was similar I think and they gave you worchestershire sauce to spread on the pancake when it was close to done. One of the best lunches I ever had.