Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

704 replacement?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I have been using a 704 for many years but now that I have started to like using braids, I am thinking of replacing the reel with one that is a bit more braid friendly.

I will be using the reel on my 10 foot Rainshadow rod. I am hoping to keep the price under $200. I am also trying to find a reel that will not snap the bail closed on my at the worst time imaginable, during a cast.

And, yes, I want a bail on the reel. I am at the point where I have a hard time finding the line in the dark in order to get it back on the roller.

C'mon guys, help me spend my kids inheritance. wink.gif

Spigola HappyWave.gif

Shimano Spheros 8000 is what u need. smile.gif It is my go to reel. Retails around $100 ish - winds on 50 lb PP great, waterproof drag and the rotor locks so it won't move when you cast. I don't care how wristy you cast - the bail is NEVER gonna snap down and break ya $25 lure off.

That will be one custom plug. biggrin.gif

Check out the Quantum Cabo PT Saltwater series.Looks pretty impressive.Magnetic bail(no springs involved).Ceramic drag system.Instant anti reverse. Priced in the $180.00/$200.00 range.

Those are nice feeling reels, CliffB. I had one of the PTs on a rod and was trying to pop the bail close on it. Unfortunately if you are a wristy caster the bail WILL close w/ the Quantum Cabo PTs. frown.gif I love the one piece SS handle! (you reading this VS). Come w/ only one spool.

Spheros come w/ just one spool as well. frown.gif (hey Shimano - wake up here .... LOL).

Nuke & Charl,

Actually I am using 30# PP and I find that it casts better than 15# test Trilene. What I don't like is that I can't find the damn stuff at the end of a cast to place it back on the manual roller in the dark. I have taken to wearing one of my Aleutian gloves to protect my right index finger during the cast and can't feel the line after the lure hits the water. Hmmm, what if I feathered the line a bit. Wonder if that would help. Gotta' try that before springing for a new reel.

Spigola

hi spig

i use #30 fireline on my 704 no problems,but im bailless.i agree,the spheros is alot of reel for the $$$.ive always had good luck with shimanos,i own 12 of them.just my 2 cents,good luck

Spig I have no problem with my 704 and 30 lbse line. I do use a finger cover from Surfcasters and I can sence the line thru the swede patch. Maybe the gloves are to thick?

Yup, what CHUCK said

Chuck and Sudsy,

Gotta try to see if I can spot that suede patch. Probably the cheapest way to fix this minor problem. redface.gif

BTW, no intention of selling this old warhorse 704 and bail, what's a bail? wink.gif

Spigola HappyWave.gif

Spigs..

1) dont stop using your 704, its a great reel and bfore I had my VS's, I used them with Fireline with no issues at all...

2) use fireline instead of that Power Pro garbage, its not your reel, its your line. that stuff stinks... your issue is not the reel being braid friendly, its your line not being "Reel" friendly. Buy 20 lb fireline and you wont have any problems for 3 years, that I promise...

3) I used the suede patch for years, but I have come to realize that I dont need it unless its really cold out or Im throwing big A$$ plugs all night. Other than that, I just keep the line on the "pad" of my index finger.

My advice dont go buying an inferior reel just so you can cast Power Pro...invest in Fireline and youll never turn back.

BC