Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WoodyCT

Yet more ways to skin a cat...

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Some ideas I'm trying for the nose, belly hook, and tail wrap as I perfect my through wire drilling skills.

Recessed nose grommet.

Tail grommet filed down to match body profile.

Spro stainless swivel epoxied into belly.

J

View PostLooks good except the epoxy on the belly. Next time sand that down and you will have a winner.

I thought about it, but since this is just a learning experience/proto I skipped it. My finish work is usually a little nicer.

View Postalso you can just use a nose grommet on the tail you know...

saves you from having to grind it down.

I'll have to try that Smitty.smile.gif

J

Woody,

It'll be tough to replace the swivel if you ever needed to. You can get pretty much the same results by just drilling the hole the width of the widest part of the swivels barrel. The rounded ends of the swivel will be a bit wider and you'll just have to press in the end that goes into the lure. No epoxy necessary biggrin.gif same clean finished look.

I don't know man, looks like you're letting form trump function...

-the section of the nose that hangs out in front of the recessed grommet is going to get beat to hell by your snap - recessing it is kinda defeating one of the purposes of the grommet: to protect the wood.

-even if that belly swivel can still turn while epoxied in place, you've essentially made a plug that can't be rewired or have its hardware replaced without destroying its finish and probably a lot of hassle.

$0.02

View PostWoody,

It'll be tough to replace the swivel if you ever needed to. You can get pretty much the same results by just drilling the hole the width of the widest part of the swivels barrel. The rounded ends of the swivel will be a bit wider and you'll just have to press in the end that goes into the lure. No epoxy necessary biggrin.gif same clean finished look.

I'll try that TT.

View PostI don't know man, looks like you're letting form trump function...

-the section of the nose that hangs out in front of the recessed grommet is going to get beat to hell by your snap - recessing it is kinda defeating one of the purposes of the grommet: to protect the wood.

-even if that belly swivel can still turn while epoxied in place, you've essentially made a plug that can't be rewired or have its hardware replaced without destroying its finish and probably a lot of hassle.

$0.02

Valid points EB and I understand completely. Maybe a bit of epoxy in the recess would reinforce that area. As for the swivel, and it turns perfectly, I don't know if my idea is all that practical for the reasons you and TT stated, but I just wanted to try it out to 'one up' the wire hangers most often seen on this type of plug.cwm27.gif

Just messing around and learning as I go.smile.gif

THANKS AGAIN,

Jon

View PostNo swimming action at all.headscratch.gif

Going to try smaller hooks, and then a bigger lip.

One of the reasons not to epoxy everything in place woody. When building something like a hand carve or a new design you should be flexible to switch things up. Epoxying everything in place gives you no leeway to change. It is one of the reasons that many of my new designs start out with screw eyes. Change of the front hole location or hook placement may give you a desired swim.

As for now if you haven't epoxied the lip start with that. Try a wider lip to displace more water.

Also how did you keep the epoxying from locking the barrel swivel?

I used Aqua Mend and packed it around the swivel. The loop spins free and easy.

I bet if I hit that lip with a light for a few seconds I can yank the lip out. If not I'll Zap a Gap a larger one right on top of it to see if the extra surface area is the issue.

J

Bigger lip (.064 aluminum on top of stainless one) did the trick- she's swimming real nice now. Goes down 2-3' and slowly floats up in horizontal position.smile.gif

Zap a Gap and some epoxy to seal and reinforce.