Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capecodder86

battenkill V mid arbor

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Do you guys think this will be a good entry level saltwater reel for stripers blues maybe bonito and albacore if i buy a large arbor spool as i get better? i am putting it on a 9 wt 4 pieice tfo pro rod. i'll be fishing the cape and islands

I'm real happy with mine, had it for a little over a year. For $90 I couldn't pass it up, but after living with it for a while I have no complaints about it.

I re1ommend getting the large arbor. Orvis recently made a minor2009 design change and the center drag large arbors were featured in the recent Orvis print newsletter as a closeout. If you call an orvis store, they can probably find one. If you can't, then check with foulhook, who is a member of this site who manufactures reels and rods. they are good products reasonalbly priced.

View PostI would try to stay away from Orvis reels, but that is just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

Orvis sells a quality product, for a reasonable price. The best part is they perform well. The plus is there company policy, unhappy for any reason, 100% refund. How can you beat that ???? biggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

You lost me do you mean a confused.gifOrvis Battenkill fly rod? If you do I have one and it is a 4wt split bamboo two piece. Sorry I have to be wrongkooky.gifheadscratch.gif.

I've had a Battenkill mid arbor III for about three years. I have caught blues and schoolie stripers on it using a 7 wt. It is well built and has a great drag system. I measure it againse my collection of Tiogas and it fits in that rugged catagory.

Hese is apicture of the MA III mine is the black one.

012507_BKMA.gif012507_BKMA.jpgForm follows function, so it's no coincidence that the external design of the Battenkill Mid Arbor reel is truly sweet. At the heart of the reel lies the smoothest drag system you've ever experienced in a reel at this price, a highly functional, high-tech, high-performance glass composite drag system that provides a measure of tippet protection not equaled in similarly priced reels.

What both saltwater and freshwater guides rave about the most is the fabulously functional drag knob and the trophy-protecting drag that lies beneath those controls. In the heat of battle, the drag knob is easy to find even for a jet-lagged, sleep-deprived guest two hours removed from the airport. With a 720-degree drag adjustment, 60 small, individually-indexed clicks from free spool to dead stop (each one clearly felt for accuracy and repeatability). Subtle adjustments to running fish are easy to make while mistakes are hard to make-mistakes such as over compensating by tightening the drag too much or decreasing drag tension to the point where line is flying off your reel, creating tangles. The Battenkill Mid Arbor's center-line drag system features innovative glass composite drag surfaces that protect even the most delicate of tippets. A one-way clutch bearing engages the drag instantly, the drag surfaces buffering drag start-up inertia to protect tippets on ferocious take-and-bakes by even the most powerful gamefish.

View PostOrvis sells a quality product, for a reasonable price. The best part is they perform well. The plus is there company policy, unhappy for any reason, 100% refund. How can you beat that ???? biggrin.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

I don't know if I would call it quality, but it does get the job done. I've had 4 Orvis reels, I've gotten rid of 3 and use the one I have for freshwater. I think for the money you can get better reels. Many stores are blowing out Lamson Velocity and Sage 2580 reels in that price range...IMO these are better reels.

Like RJ, I use the Battenkill midarbor III on a 7wt. I use it in estuaries and tidal creeks for schoolie bass and blues. I have owned it for 3 years in the salt w/o problems. I do take meticulous care of my equipment. After each use I rinse it off and if it got dunked in the salt I open it up to wipe clean. One time I hooked into a 32" striper, put it on the reel and the drag worked as it should. For around a $100, it is a great reel.

Steve

I have one no complaints. Not the best reel I own, but certainly worth the price. I paid $125 for the reel & an extra spool. And my local Orvis shop is more than fair in handling any issuses. I have reels that cost 5 times as much, but they are not 5 times better... JMHO

Russ

I don't think it's necessary for bass and blues, wouldn't hurt but it would definetly help in landing ablies and bones. I use the older versions quite often and have dropped a number of albies when they turn and start bee-lining it right back towards you either on boat or beach. They come in so fast, with the small arbor, it's hard to pick up the slack and that's when they take advantage and spit the hook once in while. A LA would help pick up that line quicker, that's the purpose.

View Post I do take meticulous care of my equipment. After each use I rinse it off and if it got dunked in the salt I open it up to wipe clean. One time I hooked into a 32" striper, put it on the reel and the drag worked as it should. For around a $100, it is a great reel.

Steve

This is the important piece. I destroyed a mid-arbor in less than one season. If you don't completely clean it after every single use you will end up with a pile of rust in very short order.

Lamson Velocity reels are being heavily discounted all over the internet and in fly shops right now. A 3.5 is what you want for a 9wt. You should be able to find one for between $150-$200. A much better reel for not much more money than the Orvis.

Orvis stuff isn't bad, it's just overpriced. As far as I am concerned, at least for their low-mid price gear, you can find other brands that have much better quality for the same price (or the same quality at a lower price). I have a St Croix Legend Ultra 5wt rod. When I purchased that rod, I compared it to a comparably priced Orvis rod, and the St Croix was much better, hands down.