Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chunk

Ambassadeur problem

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

When I hit the button to put my Abu 7000 into freespool everything is fine, but then when I try to engage into gear by turning the handle, sometimes it doesn't engage right away, it takes a little longer to engage. Anybody have a diagnosis for my sick reel?

if it's a 7000 without IAR, you will have to turn the handle till you hear 2 clicks then the reel will be engaged fully, or, if you do one fast turn, you hear one loud click indicating the reel had engaged. The reels with the anti-reverse dogs are like this, the IAR reels engage more quickly.

View PostWhen I hit the button to put my Abu 7000 into freespool everything is fine, but then when I try to engage into gear by turning the handle, sometimes it doesn't engage right away, it takes a little longer to engage. Anybody have a diagnosis for my sick reel?

Another thing to look at will be the alignment OF the press arm 6933. Now and then, this part takes a direct hit when the reel falls to ground, or hits the gunnel on yon boat, etc. (press arm=the 'button' you push to cast)

If it gets bent a lot, then it scuffs against the side plate, and binds on the way back to cast, from free spool.

From here, it's hard to see yours, but if you hold the reel in front of you, and eyeball the top part of the press arm, you will see they folded the top over, for a square, so you can push on it. It needs to be as true to the sideplate as possible, not angled over to one side or the other.

Take a pair of needle nose pliers, and gently grab inside the square, and bend the part back to true, if this is it.

You may need to take the reel to a shop, or to a friends place, to see a reel where the angle a 'good' press arm is set at, so you can adjust yours accordingly.

Being chromed brass, it's easy to get carried away. If you do hoop it, it's a 5.00 part.

Hope this helps. KD

View PostI seem to be having the same problem with my 6600. Is there any place on this site I can get a good copy of a Schematic?

You may need to go off-site for schematic.... I don't know 'the lay of the land' here, as well as others.

The 66 and the 65 share most of the internal parts, except the frame, and the RH sideplate. The 66 uses a thumb-bar equipped frame, to engage cast mode, while the 65 uses the clutch arm/press arm, with a regular style frame. The push button for cast is omitted on the 66.

Schematics can be found right at Purefishing, www.abugarcia.com and many other web places, like southwestern parts, nutter reel, mike's reel, reelschematic, to name a few. http://www.abugarcia.com/product_schematic.php?id=226 Search the baitcast collection for the '6000 series' of reels.

If your 66 is acting up, it's usually a condition of crud. Rarely, the contact point of the arm and the driveshaft will be worn some....several posts before this forum was invented, cover the fix for this.... it involves a 're-bend' of the very END on the arm, to get same to contact the driveshaft more positive.

Usually, it's the position holder's springs get weak, and cause the fail to fail.

The PH is a 3 dollar part, as is the arm.

Depending on the age of your 66, you need to be cautious in re-assembly... the early versions NEEDED the reel placed in **cast mode**, so as not to destroy or compromise the little needle pin in the frame, to meld correctly with the brake plate. Later versions got that covered, so it does not matter if the reel is on cast mode or not, as you re-install the sideplate assy to the frame.

To install the reel in cast mode, you put a baby screwdriver in the slot where the needle on the frame goes, and engage cast. There is a little crescent-shaped opening on the brake plate, where the needle fits... you will see it.

Hope this helps. KD