Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigBillJettyJockey

Any Opinions?

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I'm know you all have opinions, but how about an opinion on The Tsunami line of rods, the Airwave in particular (spin, 10', 2 piece, med/heavy duty) .

Yes, after 20 years, I WILL be starting the season with a new rod (about time I hear you all say). Kevin has had good things to say about it and there's a new one on eBay for tad over $100 (as much as I'm willing to spend). Hopefully I'll get to cast Kev's over the weekend to get a feel for it, but I'm always interested in what the multitude of merry members on SOL have to say about equipment,sharpies that you all are. wink.gif

I have to agree with Kev. My wife owns 2 of them. An 8' and a 11'. they are great rods for the money! One thing that is different in them is that they have a fairly soft tip, however when you load the rod up it will stiffin' up and you can really one heck of a cast out of if.

I thought Kev only had a 8' and 9'headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif Of course who knows what he has been hiding. I would go to DICKS. We bought my wife's 11' rod there for 120.00 with the 2 year guarantee. If you would like to test drive the 11' I can meet you at the Bway this weekend also

View PostWhat do you mean by that? How are the ratings off?

I don't think they will throw as heavy of a bait as they have the rod rated for. Its a good pluggin rod, but for bait I would look at something else.

You might also want to consider the Dblue 10' 2 piece TC4 rod ; they are also on Fleabay and cost about the same as the Tsunami's. I just ordered one and got it a few days ago- I took it down to Quonnie this morning for some test casts and I like it a lot...

Steve K

I'd like to throw (plugs) a bit further. My 9' Penn is all the recent experience I have. At 5' 7'', 63 and in fair shape , would going to 11' be a better choice.

View PostI'd like to throw (plugs) a bit further. My 9' Penn is all the recent experience I have. At 5' 7'', 63 and in fair shape , would going to 11' be a better choice.

I have a lot of friends well past your age and they have no problem throwing the 11' Airwave

I have a nine foot Airwave spinning rod. I don't have any idea how to use it(seriously), but it has a really nice feel to it. Nice grips and the blank is definitely sweet.

Thanks all for the feedback. The main thing I'm looking for is, of course, castability. Then there's plain ol' strength. I've never had a problem hauling or "bouncing" a good sized boofish up onto the rocks with the dinosaur thigh bone I've been using forever. But since I don't get out on the jetty as much any more maybe I won't have to worry about that factor too much.

I like the "plugging" comment about the airwave, since I don't hardly fish bait. I sling 2-3 oz lures, with a couple of 4 oz Polaris Poppers at the high end of the weight scale.

I got rid of my 9' Airwave... Too many 9' rods. I have the 10' still and Bill wil be able to try it. It's rated 2-4oz. I think it like 1 1/2-3 best. Beyond that is a real stretch, but I don't think you'd hurt the rod throwing 4. Most rods are rated optimistically. The Airwave is not unique in that respect.

Hey Bill... I have a Shimano Spheros 6000 with braid on it. I'll leave it there for you to try it out. Good match. I'll bring my daughters Daiwa Sealine X too. Also a nice rod. The Airwaves and DBlues are about the same $$ on ebay. Around $120 shipped. I had a DBlue and I like the Airwave better... for me.

There is one thing to keep in mind, largewilliam. You've been used to horsing bluefish up onto the wall with that "vintage" car door shortened monster stick you've been using. With the Airwave, you are entering a wee bit different world.

They also make the 10' Airwave in a 4-6 rating....

Tsunami Airwave 10' Surf Rod Xtra Hvy TSAWSS-1002XH

get a lami spend the money get something you really like...bill you fish enough get your self the best...its like buying tools..... alot of guys like the gsb1202L rattys got one,,,I still got mine I had wraped in 1991 paid 265 back then...worth every penny....alot of those new 120 dollar rods are fast action there not like the old mod action rods...I own a couple tica's all those rods get the job done, but thats it...spend the money..its a huge difference getting a rod built for you..

If you want to hork them up the sides of the rocks, get a glass rod. Takes a beating, casts anything. Only drawback is the heft. Knowing you. you wouldn't notice the weight at all. My main rod is conventional, but you are more than welcome to clamp on a spinning reel and give it a try. Kevin probably has a bunch of honeys you could check out.

Why go modern when the old stuff still does the job? If you are becoming a sand guy(not too far away for mecwm31.gif) Graphite is light and responsive(buy a Lami), but I've seen too many graphites break on the Breachways.

....and if you buy a custom, you can walk the beach with your nose in the aircwm13.gif, don't trip on the seaweedcwm27.gif

Gents...for those of you that know Stewie you know he speaks the truth...for those of you taht don't, he's not kidding...he has no clue what to do with a spinning rod...LMFAO...Stewie, I was brought up with Penn Surfmasters and Squidders attached to 10 - 12 foot Murat lamiglass rods...I still have a few...When Penn came out with the 700 I was on the beach at Nausett Inlett with my dad and his friend since childhood...Charlie Murat. Charlie hooked up this new-fangled reel to a rod that had the guides on the wrong side and the ones closest to the reels were 10 times or more the size of the tip guide. We all looked on in amazement as the first "spinn cast" plug (that I ever saw) was hurtled into the white water of the bar out front. NO, no big cow hit it, but it sure did zip out there. However, my dad beat him by a gfood 20 yards with his surfmaster and thumed the line evenly back onto the reel...BUT Charlie was already into his 3rd cast wit no effort at all to make certain that the line was even across the spool...I'll con tinue this post after dinner.