Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
malibuX

Barnegat Bay in spring

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Is there any fishing in Barnegat Bay in April/early May? Is that when the weakies come in? Blues? It's a rather large body of water, so I don't think it would constitute spot-burning to tell. Thanks for any info.

March Winter Flounder opens

Late March-April-May cinder worm hatches are prevalent and bass can be caught. They are also caught by chunking clams. Blue pump into the Bbday usually the 2nd wk of april- 1st week of may, usually about a week after they pass through the Squan and Barnaget inlets. May also brings fluke but of course, you gotta wait for the season to open smile.gif

Depending on how cold the winter has been I've caught bass wading the flats as early as the first week in april. Blues are variable, by water temp. Have seen them as early as tax day or as late as the first week in may. Weakies are better on the western side of the bay early in the season. Maybe mid to late april for them. Think about it a bit, pull out a map, look at the area and you should be able to think about some spots.

View PostNObiggrin.gif

Yep, what he said... no fish in the bay, I'd switch to freshwater if i were youbiggrin.gif

But, if you still want to try... good advice given already: Get out the maps and google earth and give it a shot late April through May.

View PostIs there any fishing in Barnegat Bay in April/early May? Is that when the weakies come in? Blues? It's a rather large body of water, so I don't think it would constitute spot-burning to tell. Thanks for any info.

I'll be heading there in May with the kayaks, last year we got there on the tail-end of a bad Nor'easter and could'nt hang around long enough for the fishing to pick back up. That being said I would recommend the trip just for the beauty of the area, I did not have my 'yak there last time but plan on paddling to the Sedge Islands and using the charts to find some "fishy" spots. Early May looks to be a good time to go, watch the moon and tide charts and get at them early and late.

JAsmile.gif

Bass - schoolies can start up at the end of March/beginning of April, depending on the weather. Mid April thru early June are best. The weakfish are a bit harder to predict, fishing can be awesome in the spring or non-existent. There was a book published in the 90s on fishing Barnegat Bay. Don't remember who wrote it or the exact name, but it's a good starting point. You might want to try searching for it on amazon.

View PostThere was a book published in the 90s on fishing Barnegat Bay. Don't remember who wrote it or the exact name, but it's a good starting point. You might want to try searching for it on amazon.

It was Barnegat Bay's Fisheries by Richard Henderson. Out of print for a while now but a good starter guide for anyone who wants to know anything about Barnegat.

I'm closer to Little Egg Inlet.

End of March into April for fluke and winter flounder I like

The East and Middle Sedge Islands.

Drifting across the channel near/around buoy 108.

Drifting the Mystic Island side of the fish factory near 139.

Everyone has there own way but I like a heavy bucktail or fluke ball with a teaser both baited the same... squid, mackerel belly and/or some spearing. Or the squid spearing combo

Same time frame for Stripers

They will go into great bay and past graveling point via the mulica river. Try Clarks Landing to hit the river. I've used lures, bloods, eels, clams, my left nut and the kitchen sink. Love me 'dem Stripers.

I don't think I told anyone anything new here.