Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nessmuk

Saltwater Unlimited

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Is there an East Coast-wide lobbying group that works for the interests saltwater rod-and-reel and recreational fishermen? (ie would be effective on consistent coast-wide anti-netting legislation?)

[This message has been edited by DanW (edited 04-10-2000).]

Hi Dan,

What would you like to know about the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA)?

It is a very reputable lobbying group that is making incredible difference in our fishing community!

James Donofrio, the Executive Director is a personal friend of mine and I will be seeing him this coming Thursday. What would you like to know?

"Crazy" Alberto

Alberto, thanks. I'm curious about these folks because they're the only national level lobbying group I've seen so far that appears to support saltwater issues. While I appreciate the efforts of in-state organizations it seems to me that the only way to really manage species like stripers, (or menhaden for that matter) is through a cohesive policy applied in each state throughout that species range. Our local RISAA (Rhode Island Salt Water Anglers)can't do much to directly influence policy makers in the Chesapeake states for instance. They do a lot locally, (though they're consistuency seems very narrow) but rumor has it that RI is a little small have much effect on migrating fish species smile.gif

One problem is getting people away from thinking locally and instead thinking more on distributing their money to to where the best fight is, whether it's bunker draggers in Jersy or netters in the Chesapeake, or RI if that's the case. Thing is, if Netters/Draggers are the REAL problem here (and I'd be happy to be proven wrong if that's the case, I just want the thing managed right) then it would be a mistake to alienate other groups whose support we could use, like comm rod-and-reelers. I guess my biggest issue is with wastefulness.

So...What about the RFA? Do you know about their position on resource users other than recreational fisherman? Are there other groups that might fit better into the kind of action I'm talking about?

And an open question...Anyone see any numbers on the economic impact recreational fisherman have relative to commercial operations?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am a RFA believer since their inception! They have come a long way and made the difference in this wonderful pastime we so adore. They still have a long ways and I believe they need all the support they could get. Some of their won battles are as follow:

Pelagic Pair Trawling - RFA stopped the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)-sanctioned "experiment" with pelagic pair trawling, reducing commercial fishing pressure on tuna stocks and saving countless marine mammals, sea turtles, and other offshore species.

Protecting STRIPED BASS- Many efforts to save striped bass are underway and just as this species was coming back strong, the industrial fishing fleets wanted to vastly expand their harvests. RFA Members fought hard to protect striped bass from the ASMFC's rush to increase commercial harvest in spawning areas - - and rushing to open federal waters to commercial harvest. Congressman Jim Saxton (NJ-03) sponsored the House Resolution, H.R. 2655, on behalf of the RFA to prevent NMFS from opening these waters to striped bass harvest. Preventing a slaughter by commercial netters. \t\t

Bluefin Tuna - RFA Members won the first-ever victories for recreational bluefin tuna anglers-against the angry protests of the politically powerful purse seine fleet and their political allies like Senator Ted Kennedy and others. You can be assured this type of victory against the wealthy and politically powerful purse seiners would not have been possible without the grass roots power of the RFA.

Stopped the Longliners - A full-blown effort by RFA Members convinced local officials in Charleston, South Carolina to reject a proposal that would further threaten and hasten the decline in offshore species including swordfish, sharks and Mahi-Mahi by allowing 30 longliners to dock at a publicly-funded facility.

\t

Protecting Fish Stocks - worked to pass legislation protecting menhaden (bunker or pogeys) in Connecticut and New York; And we are now working to stop the devastation of menhaden in other states, too.

Stopping the Factory Trawlers - testified at Congressional hearings and worked to pass HR 1855 stopping US-flagged factory trawlers from again devastating Atlantic mackerel and herring fisheries.

Their list goes on and on...

In the event you want more information. Go to www.savefish.com. In the event you want to meet the pricipal of RFA. I could pitch in for you and I will make sure they contact you ASAP. Hey, anything we could do to protect our waters and our fishery... I am all for it!

I hope this helps you. If I could assist you further... pls. let me know.

Regards!

"Crazy" Alberto

[This message has been edited by Crazy Alberto (edited 04-11-2000).]

Hi Dan, In RI there is RISAA and Coast Wide there is the RFA. The RFA does a lot for rec. fishermen and they really keep you up to date with all the issues they've got in the fire. The RISAA is affiliated with the RFA but I joined each separately cause it seemed like a good thing to do. I have no regrets. Check out RISAA to at http://www.risaa.org/ for RI issues and Alberto posted the RFA link. Good luck

Thanks Alberto, I had actually read the site. Looked good but am curious to see opinions of dissenters before I join. As it stands I did not see anything on their web site that would make me hesitate to join.

So I take it there's no real RFA dissenters out there?

Rhodyred, Thanks to you, too. I've got the RISAA bookmarked and read the site often. I like the work that they do, but they seem a little "everyone but rec fishermen be damned" in attitude. False impression on my part? Again, I'm NOT a commercial guy, but figure the more folks on the team the more clout we have.

Dan

Dan W i've just become involved with UMS (united mobile sportsfisherman) seems to be a great organization,with lots of lobbying power in Washington.I am affiliated thru DMS & AMSA both of witch are surf-fishing orgs.Any questions about the UMS or getting the RISAA involvede-mail me acculink@bellatlantic.net

Dan, it isn't that noticable is it? I have no beefs with the comms but I do know they do not like us around. I think it is a great fishing club and that is my #1 reason for being there. We have great seminars and speakers at our meetings and we have a great bunch of guys to fish & just plain BS with. I am on 1 panel but the rest of my affiliation is just plain fishing and fun.

Surfish thanks. I hadn't heard of the outfits you mentioned but I'll definately look into them.

Rhodyred, I've heard a bit of minor grousing about RISAA but only one really strong opinion against them. That opinion was from one of our more prominant surf-fishing Rhodies who has also been a comm rod-and-reeler. I don't know the gentlemen personally but his opinion rates consideration.

I clearly just need to check out the next RISAA meeting myself and take a look see. I feel the need to get involved somewhere, and I suspect I'll end up taking the route you did for starters; RISAA and RFA both.

Dan