Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
6pointbuck

GSB 120 1L W/ 4 in OFF THE TIP?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I HAVE A GSB 120 1L THAT I BUILT SPINNING AND WAS GIVEN THE SAME BLANK AS A GIFT AND WANTED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT BUT ALSO STAY SPINNING. I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT THIS BLANK ALOT AND HAVE HEARD SOME IDEAS BUT IM NOT SURE IF I UNDERSTAND THEM.

THE FIRST IS 6IN. TAKEN FROM THE BUTT. I DONT CARE FOR NAMES BUT THIS IS SAID TO BE A "MONTAUK EEL SPECIAL"...

THE SECOND IS 4 IN TAKEN FROM THE TIP. I READ THIS ON A POST ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND A QUESTION WAS ASKED ABOUT IT WITH NO RSONSE...HOW WOULD THIS EFFECT THE ROD..

I UNDERSTAND THE EFFECTS OF THESE PROCEDURES...THEY BOTH WILL STIFFIN THE ROD UP A BIT, BUT TO WHAt EXTENT?...

ANY IDEAS?

THANKS JOE

Cutting the butt won't stiffen up the rod, it will actually have the opposite effect. It will soften the action of the blank and decrease the power of the blank. Cutting the tip will increase the action, and stiffen the rod, but how much is really hard to say unless someone here has actually done just that.

Im Glad I Didnt Go Ahead With Any Cutting!!! Thatnks For Clearing That Up For Me. I Would Love To Find Someone That Would Like To Trade For A 1m But Shipping Comes Into Play...well See What Happens Hopefully I Can Figure These Options Out First.

Thanks

Joe

I have that rod in full length & had one with 6" off the butt.The one that was cut actually is stiffer.That blank is a "whippy" rod as far as grafites go,so by removing 6" off the butt it takes some of that "whiippyness" away.But it also makes it more parabolical.

What Was The Specific Reason Why You Had The One Cut Made? Thats My Problem I Am Trying To Find A Reason For Something Different. Did It Make The Rod Able To Handle More Weight? Less Weight? Or The Same Weight In A Shorter Stick?

View PostWhat Was The Specific Reason Why You Had The One Cut Made? Thats My Problem I Am Trying To Find A Reason For Something Different. Did It Make The Rod Able To Handle More Weight? Less Weight? Or The Same Weight In A Shorter Stick?

To be honest with you I wanted a shorter rod to use on the northshore that could handle 2 1/2 oz. Did the rod handle more wieght,no.It handled less wieght worse because it didn't load up like the full length blank did.

I built the 108 1L to use on the northshore,that handles up to 2oz.

In my opinion you got to know exactly what you want & know exactly what your gonna get before you cut the blank,cause there's no turning back once you cut it!

Joe,

I just finished one I cut 9" off the butt for Log Cabins.... He wanted something stifer then the 9L but not as stiff as the 9M. This will surely make one heck of an eeling stick. If I get another order shortly for a 10L and you still have that one and are still looking for the 1081M I will order one and trade you if you still need the 1081M.....