Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stryperStalker

squid

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I only see frozen squid in the fish market. My local guy says he almost never gets it fresh, even in the spring when they start showing up in the local bays and harbors.

Is there a big difference in flavor/texture between fresh and frozen squid? I've never really thought of squid as having flavor - it's like a rubbery chicken. But maybe this is because I've always had previously frozen squid?

whole foods has fresh squid at times and it's pretty damn good and not rubbery unless you over cook. Squid and pasta is a good mixsmile.gif I have also seen it at shaw's.

fresh squid is pretty tough to get retail. after some sourcing, i was able to find a supplier for the restaurant, but not from someone who has a retail outlet. i think its much better fresh and there is a texture difference, but its not as dramatic as with other seafood. when possible, catch your own and compare the difference yourself. they're a pain to clean, but i think worth it. and, also, if you catch your own, you have a free supply of the ink, which can be used in a number of applications that i love.

Fresh verses frozen mostly depends on where it was packed/frozen, and if they flash froze it quickly after catch. (Like most anything.)

Most squid you will see in this area is previously frozen, except for a short time in the spring at the better, local fish markets. Though I have never seen much of a difference in texture or flavor between the two if you get quality frozen squid.

It is better to get it still frozen and thaw it yourself verses buying it frozen and thawed at the store.

As to the rubbery texture......cook squid two minutes or two hours....anything in between, and just use rubber bands instead......wink.gif. Correctly cooked squid should never be rubbery, but soft and delicate, with just a slight bit of resistance on the bite.

And cleaning isn't that hard....pull of the head/tentacles, cut that right behind the eyes, squeeze out the "beak", and you are done with that part.

For the tube, pull out the cartiledge (looks like a piece of plastic), and then squeeze out the "guts" running your fingers outside the tube front back to front, then a quick rinse inside.

Peel off the purple skin under cold running water, if desired (skin can be left on, and don't fuss if it all doen't come off). Each one takes 1-2 minutes, tops, to clean.........

I tried to get some years ago at a local fishmonger in Stonington; he told me that they deteriorate too quickly if not frozen. Maybe if you go direct to the dock someone might sell you some bycatch. shaky.gif

For what its worth I once jigged up a nice amount of squid on a canyon trip once and at the end of the trip I decided to take it home....I made Squid Fra Diavolo with it and served to my friends. 20 years later my friends are still takling about how good that was. So I guess there is indeed a differnce.

From what I heard from some of my Korean friends the squid they catch on the Helen H in the spring is the best eating squid in the ocean.

View PostFrom what I heard from some of my Korean friends the squid they catch on the Helen H in the spring is the best eating squid in the ocean.

Koreans aren't the only ones who say thatdrool.gif