Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ESyakr

surf fishing? im a noob

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

so are most of you surf/shore fishermen? i really had no idea "serious" fishermen fished from the bank, always thought you had to have a 50,000k boat to catch anything...well not really, but i had no idea it was such a big thing. is that what most of you do though, is fish from the beach? not trying to ignorant for funny, just want to know.

Most guys here fish from the beach, canals, or land. Some also have boats. Some have kayaks. We just share a general interest in fishing. But I would say most stripers caught by people on SOL are from the beach.

Get a pair of waders. There's nothing like integrating yourself with the marine environment, up close and personal. It's addicting, and you experience your fishing to a much deeper level.

almost 100% land for unless it's fluke time...nothing beat's landing a striper of any size from the surf it's rush that you can't get enough of!! it can also be very challanging too. it's alway's a real hunt from shore!!

Surf fisherman are a different "breed" than boat fisherman.

Its much harder to consistantly catch big fish from the surf than it is from a boat, and that fact alone gives us surf fisherman the "adrenaline rush of the hunt" the challenge of using a small "window" of opportunity to try and catch big stripers, we may at times walk 1 to 2 miles just to get to the fishing "spot" we intend to fish.

In my opinion surf fisherman are much better fisherman than boat fisherman, because there is a lot more skill, and knowledge needed to successfully catch big stripers from the surf. Don't get me wrong here, boat fisherman know their stuff to, but give them a surf rod and take away their boat and they are "lost", on the other hand give a surf fisherman a boat and he will out fish anyone on the water biggrin.gif

We all share the same thing, we all love fishing beers.gif

View Posti really had no idea "serious" fishermen fished from the bank...

I can see why it might look that way. All along the coast, a bright sunny day brings out guys on beach chairs, coolers of beer, and an idle spiked rod waiting for a lucky bite.

Then you look at the guys driving around in $50,000 fishing boats, stacked with premium gear, electronics galore, bright, shiny, and new, looking like they know exactly what they're doing. Those are the serious fishermen you'll say, not like those dopes on the beach, and you'd be right...partly.

What you probably don't see is the comparatively small number of guys with a fanatical addiction to the sport, who are out there only on the darkest nights, climbing on rocks, bobbing in wetsuits, and walking miles of empty beach alone, the guys who have planned every minute of that night in accordance with the tides and bait patterns they've spent years observing and learning. You'll seldom see them in the daytime and rarely on a magazine cover. You won't hear them bragging about their latest catch at the bar or the dock. Such guys are a minority within a minority, but they're as "serious" as fishermen exist on the planet.

living in the south, wehre the surf is nto as productive as those of NE, i like wading around inlets, casting lures for bluefish(as long as ur stadning on sand i would say ur surf casting).

View PostSurf fisherman are a different "breed" than boat fisherman.

In my opinion surf fisherman are much better fisherman than boat fisherman, because there is a lot more skill, and knowledge needed to successfully catch big stripers from the surf. Don't get me wrong here, boat fisherman know their stuff to, but give them a surf rod and take away their boat and they are "lost", on the other hand give a surf fisherman a boat and he will out fish anyone on the water biggrin.gif

We all share the same thing, we all love fishing beers.gif

You sir have earned a ice cold Blue Moon with an orange wedge. If I can buy you one I will. Since I can not, I will have one for you wink.gif.

I fished both; but found fishing from the surf more satisfying due to the more demanding conditions. There are no fish finders to alert me to where the fish are thus I had to be more aware of my surrounding. I was so obsessed that I once spent a day walking in my waders just to get the chance to fish Nauset inlet...never did make it though after about six hours of walking at a slight angle (on the edge of the water) I was to beat to continue and had to turn back. frown.gif Although a three day stretch on the Cape Cod Canal sleeping amongst the rats always made me feel I was just putting in my time, paying my dues and learning (thank god for snickers and little debbies). And I used to get alot of laughs from the guys at the marina where my folks had a 35' Viking and I worked a 55' Hatteras as a mate, when they saw my car (#*%tbox) with better equipment than most boats (livewell, nets and rods) and me still in my waders sound asleep. I got the last laugh though by winning the marina Stripped bass catagory (3 yrs. straight) by catching bass in the marina. Fishing from shore always alert for bait or fish and learning how read the water and the fish gave me the edge that more often than not would produce more and better than the next guy...very satisfying. I still enjoy catching bait to catch bigger bait to catch stripers, I guess I am just easily amused.