Thoughts on Susky 09

View PostThere's no largemouth or smallmouth there. Only stripers and big carp.

And herring. That's all.

wink.gif

Yupsmile.gif

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

No yahoos and fish got bigger after dark.

Watch the weather and dam outflows and when you get a window go. Don't try to pick your dates much in advance.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Riddler - I've been fishing the Susky Flats from a canoe with trolling motor for the past 5-6 years. Striper action is a real crap shoot usually. I've been skunked there more than not. But the rare good days are truly awesome. Confounding factors are major releases of muddy flood waters from Conowingo Dam... and this happens a lot during the early spring. So you gotta watch the water release graphs closely and call the release hotline the day before or morning of your trip (1-888-457-4076). High releases can go for days or even a week or two during really wet springs and stirs the water to a muddy mess. A stiff south breeze can be a royal PITA, avoid those days. Strong cold snaps early in the C&R season can turn off the fishery until it warms up a little. A prolonged warm dry spell in what you should be looking for.

Unfortunately for us small boat guys, all the good launch points are at the northern (top side) end of the Flats and all the hot, more consistent action is generally found at the southern end. And the southern end is a loooooong paddle in a boat. But sometimes the northern end does provide some hot action for very nice fish. My favored time is mid/late April into early May.

There are other fish species to catch but not so much on the Flats itself. Most of the side coves & bays have LMBass. And if you launch upriver at Lapidum near where the flowing Susky hits tide line you can catch a host of other species like hickory shad, SMBass, LMBass, W&Y perch, stripers, walleye and channel cats. Good action to be found from Lapidum upriver to Rock Run Mill. You can also launch a kayak at the mouth of Deer Creek and the Susky. Currents are strong at Deer Creek during full generation and you will need a shuttle car at Lapidum to bring you back to Deer Creek. Also, at Deer Creek, you had better be a reasonably skilled yaker. The flow of the Susky is fast and you can get into some serious trouble if you are not comfortable with fast water.

Oh, and by late April into May, big carp will be flopping and breaching all over the Flats and side coves making you think they are feeding stripers. They've fooled me more than once.

During some springs the Flats and especial side cove like Furnace Bay can get pretty socked in with heavy growths of rooted aquatic veggies. All depends on the type of winter the area experienced as to whether it survived intact over the winter months. By mid summer most years the rooted veggies blanket the Flats as far as you can see.

Mullet - Do you remember that date for those pics you posted? Looked like an outstanding trip.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

OK, even though Bob will bust my stones for reposting these too many times wink.gif here are a few fish from that same day on the flats a few years back with the DE/MD/PA crew from SOL. All on topwater! As any good topwater day requires we had calm overcast skies and clear water.

As you can see no boats around me. When the boaters see you catching, they come flying in to fish near you and put the fish down. mad.gif

Yaks rule the flats.

Susq_Flats_40inches_1_.jpg

Susq_Flats_36inches_Fat_1_.jpg

HPIM1220.JPG

"Sea shore washed by the suds and the foam, been here so long he's got to callin it home"