Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Thoughts on Susky 09

95 posts in this topic

Well I hope this is the year I get to make it down there. I was just looking at the closures and what was open for the season. I'm 90 percent catch and release with SB's so I am fine in going into that area. It would be a bummer though to haul up a 60lber and have no option of bringing it to the beach to roll around with in celebration. Hey, a pic would be cool too.

For those who have paddled this area, what are the conditions like mid april? Air Temp? Water Temp? I'm going to try and get down there during the period from Mar 01 - Apr 17, hoping heavy rains hold off.

Here is a link for Marylands 2009's regulations on Striped Bass:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...frmapindex.asp

(if this link is inappropriate, I apologize)

The link is fine, I usually get it up every year. Late March thru April have been the better times for me on the flats. The biggest factor other than the weather is the Conowingo Dam. If there is a heavy melt in Pa or NY, they'll open the gates and flood the flats with cold, muddy water. Still fishable, but you have to really work hard to find the fish. This site will let you keep trak of the releases...

http://md.water.usgs.gov/webcam/01578310/

Here's a link to an earlier thread with lots of info....

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...ht=susquehanna

What ever questions you may have, ask away, we'll get you the answers.

Thanks MM. Thats the time frame I plan on going. I heard from guys Like JonS and JoeyV about the water quality down there and dams being left open. Hopefully this will be a good kayak fishing year down there. The best part is, late March is not that far away!

Very much on my hit list.

Last year, durning the 'window' I had open the weather just did not cooperate. I am def keeping an eye open. As it gets closer lets keep this thread alive. I would love to hook up with you guys.

I think it would be a great place to set the year off. I am going to bring both my Sit in and SOT, just need to rig the new SOT after selling my other one.

We had some great SOL outings on the flats in years past. 10-12 kayak fisherman and some nice fish. Weather, wind and dirty water hasn't cooperated the last 2 years. I didn't get on the flats until early May and got a bunch of little fish.

For those coming in from out of town, weekdays are best. Weekends look like the spanish armada is coming thru and the boats spook all the fish. Yaks rock on the shallow flats but I only do weekdays down there anymore.

7 weeks and counting drool.gif