Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JaySpen57

Good Surfcasting Reel

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Im looking for a new reel for surf fishing, anchor rod for live baiting, or throwing drum rigs. I've been looking at the Abu Garcia Blue Yonder, Shimano Torium, Daiwa Saltist, and Penn 525 mag. I want a reel that can throw very far but also has good quality and will last long. Any suggestions or new thoughts for reels. Thanks.

I've used them all.

The Abu is small, the Torium is expensive, the 525Mag is finicky(and plastic), Slosh's antireverse is noisy(also plastic). Just bought my second Saltist. I'm going to fill the drain holes with epoxy because I think they are a bad idea, but other than that, the reel is perfect.biggrin.gif

This review is subject to change, I'm a reel nut.cwm27.gif

The Blue Yonder is a joy to cast and fish if you want to use #15 mono and up to 6 ounces. It is small for 8 'n' bait IMO. The Daiwas--"Slosh," SHV or SHA are excellent. They have great drags, cast very well and are very durable--the best bargains in conventional bait reels. Get the 30-size for #20 and up to 8 ounces. The 525 Mag is a great caster that can be almost too fast sometimes. Has a great drag that can handle big drum and is a big enough reel for a true heaver rod and 8 ounces. I like #17 Suffix on the 525. I don't have any experience with the Saltist. Just my .02 Have fun shopping.

I just put a Penn550SSg Spinfisher on my 10ft. Tsunami surf rod. Also threw out bait on my dock to try it out. Nice graphite reel with good line capacity especially with braid. I get great casting distance with it on my 7ft. Shakespeare med action Big Water rod. Costs between 80 and 100$. Good luck.

"What's plastic about the 525 mag.I believe it is a GS series real which I believe is graphite not plastic."

If it quacks like a duck............biggrin.gif There is nothing at all wrong with plastic(or graphite if you like), but I definitely prefer the heft of aluminum or other metals better. Except maybe in Decemberwink.gif

I have both a 525 and a saltist 30.

I have used my 525 for surf casting and as an anchor rod. Worked good for both. When they are clean and have fesh oil, they are casting machines. I have replaced the drags and bearings in both of mine, parts are easy to find(cheap too) and the reel is easy to tear down and clean up. Lots of people knock it for line capacity, but I have never been spooled with one.

I have a Saltist 30 and plan to buy another. I like this reel a lot too. Holds a little more line than the 525 and is a good casting reel, not quite as fast as the 525and tougher to blow up than the 525, but might not throw as far. Mine fits perfect on my 1509. Louder clicker.

CJ