Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
petefly80

cork seal

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just got done turning my first fly rod grip and I am wondering if I need to use cork seal on it? What does this stuff do? Does it change the coloring of the cork at all and is it something I should use? Thanks guys.

It will darken the color and change the feel. It will not feel as soft and smooth. Try it on some cork and see. I don't care for it myself but others seem to like it. I just periodically resand my grips a bit if they get too bad.

Haven't had that problem at all. headscratch.gif I use a coarse haired brush to apply it while it's on my wrapper. I turn the rod just fast enough to be able to apply the stuff without it flinging everywhere. You can only do one coat as well. Any more than that and you're wasting time as it soaks into the cork and hardens. The second coat is just going to sit on top of the first and not do anything useful other than take up space.

I use DAP Plastic Wood in the Pine color, then three coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil which darkens the cork, seals in the filled spots and will give the cork a satin finish. I use 5-6 coats on my personal rods for a gloss finish and contrary to what one might think, the handles do not get slick when it rains as the water does not soak in but rather beads up and rolls off. The handles are a little harder than plain cork but not enough to make a differnece for me. I have rod handles that I haven't had to do any maintenance for going on five years.

I just delievered 26 rods to a tourney fisherman who was very please with the outcome based on the above information.

Every builder has his preferances when it comes to cork. U-40 Cork seal can be your best friend, but not as a final finish, for that it sucks as stated above. I've found that this works very well and lasts------

1. Turn your grip to final shape, DON"T BLOW OFF/REMOVE THE DUST. Lightly wipe off excess dust, just lightly . You don't want to knock the cork dust out of the voids/pits in the cork.

2. Now apply a coat of U-40 and let dry good. I wait 8hr. When dry it will be much darker but don't worry.

3. Next spin the grip and lightly resand with 600 wet/dry paper (dry). The natural color will return and all the dust in the voids will be glued in place and you're done. Easy to do, lasts for years.

X