Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseydave

Devcon 2ton peeling?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had any trouble with 2ton peeling off in large areas when applied over Createx Pearl White?

I have had problems with adhesion 3 times with Devcon 2 ton.

Once was totally my fault and I understand the reason....... I was using a torch to get that glass-like finish and I bubbled the epoxy from overheating it.... it peeled.

The other two times are bothering me because I know I did everything right.

Spar urethan sealing allowed to dry for several days, Bin primer - dried overnight, scuffed, wiped, Createx Pearl White - dried overnight (maybe 2 days) Devcon as usual onto a clean oil and dust free plug.

Came out looking great, held up while fishing and after outdoor storage in my car, but yesterday I pulled one out and it's all bubbled up.

Paint is fine, just the epoxy is peeling off of the paint ???????

Dave

is the epoxy coming off in clear sheets, or with white on it? and the exposed areas, are they white, or wood colored?

I've had it peel before, but it was due to poor primer adhesion because I was trying a new sealer. Personally I think the devcon is too brittle, but others here have a ton of success, so maybe I just didn't have a good system.

people who airbrush talk about putting a "scratch coat" down before epoxy, have you tried that?

View Postis the epoxy coming off in clear sheets, or with white on it? and the exposed areas, are they white, or wood colored?

I've had it peel before, but it was due to poor primer adhesion because I was trying a new sealer. Personally I think the devcon is too brittle, but others here have a ton of success, so maybe I just didn't have a good system.

people who airbrush talk about putting a "scratch coat" down before epoxy, have you tried that?

I'm guilty of not being sure about the scratch coat.

I have used the clear scratch coat at times, but am not sure if I had in this case.

I have also at times wiped the plugs down with D-alcohol prior to the createx after priming, but again, not sure if it was done in these two cases.

I'm searching for a routine that is routinely superior, but my record keeping has become inferior........ I've gotta work on keeping accurate records on a plug to plug basis. redface.gif

Dave

View Postdave good meeting you yesterday. good luck with the pearl white. switch to straight titanium white. unless you fish up in monmouth county with those upper class bass.

No high class bass here.

Yes I think I'm going to be simplifying my painting till I get a better idea of what caused this problem.

Nice meeting you as well, enjoyed the BS session.

Dave

when you scuff the primer, did you use sand paper? was there any primer stuck to the paper?

and dont leave your plugs in the car that long. hot and cold temps. that might be your problem toowink.gif

"Bin primer dried over night" I'll bet it was not completely dry. When you sprayed the createx you trapped it. When you scuffed the createx you released it under the epoxy.....just say'in wink.gif

View Postwhen you scuff the primer, did you use sand paper? was there any primer stuck to the paper?

and dont leave your plugs in the car that long. hot and cold temps. that might be your problem toowink.gif

Yes I usually use either 220 or 320 depending on the smoothness of the primer job.

As far as the primer being "stuck" to the paper........ If you are asking whether or not the primer was cured when sanded, yes it appeared to be dry. Didn't seem to be tacky and sticking to the paper.

Outdoor storage...... it was fine 2 weeks ago, and peeling yesterday, in between that time period we had several very cold nights pass while the plug was in the plug bag in the back of my Blazer.

Dave

Quite possible........ it claims to be dry in 15 minutes and I don't flood the plug with thick heavy coats, although as I recently posted in another thread, BIN does like to "spray heavy" because of what appears to be an inferior tip........ thats why I always attempt to give it the benefit of the doubt and let things dry for longer than what appears needed...... who knows, maybe it wasn't long enough? If that was the case though, wouldn't you think it would have felt sticky when scratched up?

View Post"Bin primer dried over night" I'll bet it was not completely dry. When you sprayed the createx you trapped it. When you scuffed the createx you released it under the epoxy.....just say'in wink.gif

View Postsome primers can off gas for 48hrs, depending on make of primer and room temp

Wouldn't that likely cause almost immediate failure though?

This plug had a great finish and held it for a couple/few months before failing?

It might have to do with devcon being an adhesive and not necessarily a topcoat, it could possibly allow water to enter over time, which would cause it to peel (this is just me speculating though).

I guess I would just peel it all off, and try recoating.

Bill Charleston I think hit it! Unless you're painting in a very dry and warm area one day is not long enough for the primer to dry..and I mean a FULL day. I dip prime (2 dips in Zinsser oil base 50/50) and allow 24 hours between dips and THEN wait 72 hours to paint...in very dry (2 dehumidifyers and heated area). However I, like Bill, have a nice place to store my Eclipse...in a drawer. Give me rattle cans or give me death...wait, that's not how that goes???cwm27.gif I got away from the cutsy stuff a while ago and got more into painting plugs for the fish as opposed to "for the fisherman"..so far that's working out just great...hey "crazy" (AKA...Ed)biggrin.gif

View PostBill Charleston I think hit it! Unless you're painting in a very dry and warm area one day is not long enough for the primer to dry..and I mean a FULL day. I dip prime (2 dips in Zinsser oil base 50/50) and allow 24 hours between dips and THEN wait 72 hours to paint...in very dry (2 dehumidifyers and heated area). However I, like Bill, have a nice place to store my Eclipse...in a drawer. Give me rattle cans or give me death...wait, that's not how that goes???cwm27.gif I got away from the cutsy stuff a while ago and got more into painting plugs for the fish as opposed to "for the fisherman"..so far that's working out just great...hey "crazy" (AKA...Ed)biggrin.gif

And I thought I was being cautious and waiting plenty long enough.

I've got no problem slowing down the process if it improves the end results.

I'm still curious why it would only be happening to the Pearl White though...... oh well, I guess some things just remain a mystery.

Have you notice how many threads eventually get back around to Bill's elusive airbrush?

Pretty sure that thing is a classic by now (the airbrush, not Bill) tongue.gif

Dave

I don't sand with anything finer than 150.After the prime coat you should just be knocking down any fine dust bunnies.no need to make like a babies arse,the paint needs something to grab.

& throw the 2 ton in the garbage.To get a strong bond,& a strong finish in the end, use a product that cures slowly.