Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Guru

12" black plastic worms?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Do any of you surf guys use big 10 and 12" black( or other colors) worms at all? I never see it talked about and was wondering if no one uses them in the surf or what the deal is. Out here in California we use them when the lamprey eels are migrating to spawn with excellent results, in freshwater of course. Rigged on a 11/0 Owner worm hook with a 1/2 or 3/4 oz bullet weight, it is weedless, easy to fish and not too bad to cast. Seems to me that they would be quite effective in the surf as well, anyone have any input?

well sluggos(what east coasters commonly used in various sizes) somewhat reall like worms. in florida they use large wroms to imitate eels to catch cobia, therfore i would assume it should work.

Big sluggos work well in the freshwater here in Cali as well, I just found it interesting that no one seems to talk much about using the 10" + worms in the surf. I'm thinking they would be pretty effective, possibly more so than a sluggo in certain conditions. The action from that ribbon tail dublicates an eels movements quite well, and the rigging options are plentiful. It just seems odd to me that no one seems to use these in the surf.

Well maybe when things are happening in CA, let me know and I'd throw a few with you to see if we get lucky? I'm thinking big worm big fish but since our fishing is much harder than the East coast we might be getting skunked more?

I seem to remember that Kalin made a 10" worm a while back called the "evil eel". It had the same tail as their plastic grubs which I use with bucktails...They swam nice but didn't cast well at all...

I have used the evil eels for years. Olive back pearl bottom. When the sand eel bite was picky and I could see them close, That was my secret weapon. They are not great for casting but are VERY effective on weakfish as well as stripers.

Many of the bigger largmouth lures have worked their way into my plug bag. Especially when the smaller fish are present.

View PostBig sluggos work well in the freshwater here in Cali as well, I just found it interesting that no one seems to talk much about using the 10" + worms in the surf. I'm thinking they would be pretty effective, possibly more so than a sluggo in certain conditions. The action from that ribbon tail dublicates an eels movements quite well, and the rigging options are plentiful. It just seems odd to me that no one seems to use these in the surf.

I don't remember the name of the eels, but a few years back at the race one night, a plastic "eel" with a ribbon tail at the back, was outproducing live eels. go figure. Never saw them in the store again to test if they really were all that. I use 8inch "grub tails" on bucktails quite often and those work great.

View PostI don't remember the name of the eels, but a few years back at the race one night, a plastic "eel" with a ribbon tail at the back, was outproducing live eels. go figure. Never saw them in the store again to test if they really were all that. I use 8inch "grub tails" on bucktails quite often and those work great.

Well, I sort of like these. Figure why not send out a mouthful. Not too cost effective when the blues are around. I find that they cast Okay. There is a flat spot on one side as they must be poured into an open mold, fish don't seem to care.

Google SnakeBite Tackle

Reaux

Over the years, SnakeBite has been contacted by a number of trophy bass fishermen wanting a worm 12 inches or larger. Well, this spring we now offer what we call the Idaho Small in two different sizes, 12 inches and 16 inches. Most manufacturers that produce baits of this size use a plastic that resembles tire rubber in softness. Those that do produce a softer bait make them too small in diameter which does not lead to a robust bait. In fact, only after a few casts, the bait tends to tear at the hook re-entry point thus breaking the worm upon casting. SnakeBite take these two downfalls of larger plastic worms and makes a thick bodied trophy worm that is soft in texture. Although these worms are not for everyone, those that do fish for that fish of a lifetime will agree that these are the best baits on the market.

16ID-B.jpg

Black

16ID-BBFBN.jpgBlack Blue Flake Blue Neon

16ID-BYS.jpg

Black Yellow Stripe

16ID-CPBNS.jpgCinnamon Pepper Blue Neon Stripe

16ID-WP.jpg

Watermelon Pepper

16ID-DGPP.jpg

Dark Green Pumpki