Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pegray

striper fly fishing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

i fly fish in freshwater but not in salt and im going to get into fly fishing from around sandy hook down to the barnegat.

i fish for stipers all the time just no by fly fishing, and i undertsand the way they act and feed. i just would like some pointers on how to find a nice inexpensive setup. and another thing is what flys for what seasons or conditions

If a newbie asked me what to get I'd tell him NOT TO BUY A THING!!!

I'd tell him to look for a Flyfishing Club in his area ( In NY There is the Saltey Fly Rodders Of NY ) among many in all states. I'd tell him to look them up & attend a meeting. Most of the fishing clubs have web-sites & contacts! I would also tell him to get on-line & do some searches on Flyfishing for beginners or flyfising 101. There is so much to learn rather than run out & buying a Rod you no nothing about! These clubs will take you in under there wings & teach you the Right way! You have to do some research! Go down to the beach,look for someone that's flyfishing, be polite & approch them & ask them if they mind you asking some questions. Most of us are nice guy's & girls. They will be glad to answer your questions. Its not like you go get a spinning outfit,their's so much more involved. Fly fishing can be real expencive! Rods cost under a $100.00 & can cost $1,000.00s same with reels, You need line & there are 3 basic. Floating,Sinking & Intermediate. Which a good one will cost you $60.00. There's Fly's, Leaders, all sorts of differnt things that you'll either need or want!

If you go out & buy a Rod in a week you might not like it! That's why I say DON'T Buy Anything until you have checked around. All these clubs have meetings once a month & before the meeting weather permitted they cast outside before the meetings. There are at least 10 guys with 10 different outfits that would be happy to let you try & give you a lesson free of charge. Theres Rods that one guy has that the other guy doesn't like so no one can tell you what to get!!! You have to like the feel for yourself. A beginner will cast a softer Rod better than a fast taper. I own more than 20 Rods & all are different for different fishing conditions. A all around surf Rod I would recommend a 9weight but which one I couldn't tell you.

I will tell you once you get your feet wet,The fish isn't the only one that will be hooked! It's a whole different world out there & there is no turning back. There is so much to learn & I learn every time I go out. I'm no expert but if there is a Newbie looking for some answers shoot me a PM & I'd be glad to spend some time trying to help you out, even willing to meet & let you try out a few rods. I'm not into selling my Rods or pushing anyones product! I Just Love the sport & would be glad to pass on any help I can. I also will be giving Fly Tying Demo's at a local shop sometime this winter. There is NO CHARGE It's just showing people another aspect of the sport. Everything from Flys, Teasers,Bucktails ETC. There is nothing more rewarding than catching a fish on something that you made yourself!

#21 report.gif

10-29-2008, 11:15 PM

View Postthanks for the advice but how do you send someone a personal message

As a new member you are required to make a given number of posts before you have PM priveledges. Not sure but maybe 10 posts or so?

Jump around and post in the FLy Tying forum also with some questions there on NEWBIE stuff.

Good luck and welcome...Say, DOn't Newbies tell jokes first time in?

Good advice given icon14.gif .

I would also add that the 'search' feature here on SOL can be very helpful to you. Click on the search button, select 'advanced search' and use key words like 'beginner', 'newbie', 'first outfit', etc and search in the Fly Fishing forum. You will get lots of info.

As you have specific questions please ask and we will do our best to help you.

Welcome to SOL HappyWave.gif .

Alan

I'm not sure if Westfield,NJ is near Paramus but you should call Ramsey Outdoors on Rt.17 and see if there holding any winter seminars or casting clinincs. They have two other stores in NJ. Any local Orvis stores would be doing the same. I know the shops here on LI sometimes will let you cast a set up right outside the store or let you borrow a set up to try at a local beach.

In today's economy if they knew you were SERIOUS about purchasing a set up from them, and not just using them to go mail order, I could not see them not going the extra mile to put you into a combo that works for you and your needs.

For the areas you mentioned I'd focus on an 8 or 9 wt. set up with a moderate flex rod with an Intermediate line. It's doesn't have to be as confusing as what you might read. Once you know how to cast, the rest is rather simple in rigging a leader and tying a knot to your fly. Flies look to Clouser Minnows & Deceivers and Stuff to work on the surface like gurglers and crease flies.

Strongly recommend beforehand going to your local library or book store/website to read either Lou Tabory's Inshore Guide to Fly Fishing or Ed Mitchells Fly Fishing Salwater Estuaries, EM has another good one but the title escapes me.