Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gunpowder

casting bait from the shore

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

need advice on how to properly cast bait from the shore using a conventional setup. i tend to always either rats nest or lose my bait.... i must be doing something wrong. anyone have a video or pics or something?

View Postneed advice on how to properly cast bait from the shore using a conventional setup. i tend to always either rats nest or lose my bait.... i must be doing something wrong. anyone have a video or pics or something?

Why not use a spinning reel if your having a lot of problems?

Read this book, and you will have some new knowledge.

Then, go to a local park at this time of the year and practice. I have used bait casters for sweetwater bass, so the learning curve was small, but non the less. After about an hour, I was able to get my casts to a reasonable distance (100 yards or so).

If your reel has brakes on it, use them heavier at first, and then lighten up as you get a feel for the reel. Before long, you will use barley and brake.

Slow down, a long sweep instead of a snap. You can even start with the rod tip pointing down the beach to your left, come around to about 7 o:clock and then start an upsweep. This will give you more time to accelerate gradually.wink.gif

View PostRead this book, and you will have some new knowledge.

Then, go to a local park at this time of the year and practice. I have used bait casters for sweetwater bass, so the learning curve was small, but non the less. After about an hour, I was able to get my casts to a reasonable distance (100 yards or so).

If your reel has brakes on it, use them heavier at first, and then lighten up as you get a feel for the reel. Before long, you will use barley and brake.

Curious as to the line, rod, reel, bait and lead(weight in oz.) you were using to achieve that distance.

Thanks,

Marc

Gunpowder. You really need to post the spec's of your setup. For all we know you could be trying to distance cast bait with a 6/0 Penn on a 11' honey Lami tossing 8 oz on Dacron.

View PostSlow down, a long sweep instead of a snap. You can even start with the rod tip pointing down the beach to your left, come around to about 7 o:clock and then start an upsweep. This will give you more time to accelerate gradually.wink.gif

Yes,yes,a long sweep.Try that.

For bait plunking method, I used netted wrapping with stretchy thread.

With soft baits (salomon eggs or sand shripms) and 6oz/8oz sinker, it is a gurantee that you will loose your bait by the force of swinging to get the rig out there (100+ yds) without the netting fabric aiding to hold the bait in.

If your style of fishing is cast and retrieve, may be just use stretchy thread to wrap your bait to save time. Controlling "bird nest" effect will need practicing and may need the aid of magnetic-controlled reel setup.