Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waderman1

Spring Run preparations

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey Guys (and Gals),

So, in preparation for the Spring Run (can't wait!) I have sent out my reels to Shimano, Newell and Penn for the routine Lube job and Maintenance, contacted my rod builder to build me a new 11ft honey lami pencil rod, and I am now dissecting my plugs and replacing the trebles and siwash hooks.... but I don't know what size hooks to replace them with. I have a lot of Lex's Lures and other comparable pluggage....

What size open-eyed trebles should I use? Siwash?

I am not messing around with the VMC's and spit rings this year - too much time and work.

Also, what else should I be doing to prep... Wear my waders in the bathtub to make sure they have no holes?

I just bought a 1500 yard spool of 30# braid.

Thankyou for your suggestions.

Waderman1

Do yourself a favor, your getting all this stuff ready, NEW pencil rod to boot, so I'm taking it that ya wanna hook some large when they come by in June right? STAY AWAY from the open eye trebles, get ya some VMC's and good split ring and split ring pliers. You can rig up a dozen plugs with good hardware in about 30-40 minutes and save yourself from losing a piggy, or ya can mess around with open eyes and go home crying and kicking yourself in the butt for using inferior hooks. Take it for whats it's worth, do it the right way the first time and know that you're squared away and ready for the biggun wink.gif.

Alright - sounds like a challenge... I got the split ring pliers from this website. What size trebles do you use and what size split-rings?

thankyou for the advice... I guess practice makes perfect...

What makes a honey lami a good pencil rods vs the other lami blanks. I am considering having a custom pencil rod fabricated but being new at the game do not know which lami blank would be best.

What size pencils will you be throwing and from what conditions, Any advice appreciated as to how you arrived at your decision helpful. As well as your rod builder name . PM me if that is better for you smile.gif

I prefer the honey lami because it is made out of fiberglass instead of graphite. I have the SB 136 2M blank. I just like the way it "loads" better than graphite. It may be a little but heavier bit I feel there is less work when casting. I throw 2-4oz plugs with this rod off the surf and I use titanium carbide guides instead of the silicone ones. again... just my preference and opinion. I am going to put a shimano sustain 8000 on it. I also like the whip action on the rod - it makes "popping" the plug easier. I will pm you my rod guy. This is my second 3rd honey lami - I have a 9ft and an 8ft both fitted with sustains.

Upgrade your pencils to wolverine split rings and VMC trebles in 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 depending on the size of the plug.Can get them at the upcoming flea markets. Open eye trebles = trouble with a big fish.

View Postbump up cell phone plan from 400 to 1000 minutes...

biggrin.gif

It was a joke waderman, implying that people will need extra minutes to be able to receive all the calls from their friends chasing blitzes up and down the coast

Oh, riiiiiight.....

actually that is pretty funny - I'm gonna put an x-tra coat of white semi gloss spray paint on my bucket.......

thx for the explanation