Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
genensandee

Seeker, Calstar, Phenix, Gusa, and Shikari.

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

All the companies listed in the title have new blanks coming out.

Shikari is coming back very soon and the original designer will probably be involved from what I have heard as ATC never stood up to their end of the deal.

GUSA has been bought and is once again going to be produced in California Dick may even come out of retirement to help a bit. If at all possible. The new owners went to see him recently.

Phenix has a new blank that is absolutely unbelievable, 8ft and 9ft rods rated 30 to 80lb. I almost dead lifted the designer off the floor.

Seeker has the new jigging blanks and the Ulua's . I haven't seen the jigging blanks but I like the baby Ulua (the reason I'm calling them jigging blanks is because that is what they are copies of, the australian version of the graphite usa's jigging rods).

The Calstar GG100J is extremley light and loads up nicely. Leon has a winner with that blank.

So I see everyone talking about the Seeker rods that are coming out and understandably Seeker is a time tested and proven company. Their rods are awesome, definately some of the best american blanks available.

Calstar is just as proven and is coming out with newer lines every year. Has anyone seen the 10ft Graphite 100J it is a beast but weighs nothing?

Or the fact that everyone liked the shikari's so much (to the point that numerous companies used their blanks as their own). You may not have known it at the time but you have probably fished one. They are coming back.

Just because Roy Hastings screwed the company and everyone that was a loyal customer doesn't mean that all gusa's suddenly suck.

For the past 3 1/2 years everyone on this forum talked up and supported Graphite USA. Everyone said there wasnt any other blanks out there better then them.

Suddenly, that opinion has changed. I was talking smack about gusa when it was still under Hastings ownership because the quality was way down from the original versions. However, I knew how killer the product had been previous to the move out of California. I am excited to see the new product now that Hasting's is gone and it is back in good hands. It will be tested and proven again with better design, higher standards and back to the original form. The Hastings era will just be a bad memory in the history of the rods someday.

It sounds like you are all abandoning them. It just seems a bit odd to me.

I mean if you have been a ford guy your whole life and suddenly chevy releases a new model, you might like it more but you wouldnt forget your passion for ford.

I can understand switching brands I switch back and forth all the time from glass rods to composites to 100 percent graphite but I still appreciate all the rods. Meaning, that I know the original graphite usa rods were killer and in their time they were state of the art.

I also know original sabres trulines harnells were the best of their time and I will occasional fish them. I also know calstar and seeker are the best american made composite rods available period.

The new phenix blanks are going to make a big splash at fred hall in march. The checkerboard blanks they have coming out are lighter and stronger than even the current black diamond series.

All I am saying is how does the loyalty shift so completely from rod maker to rod maker? Who determines when a rod is no good anymore? Take the rod you thought was the best 6 months ago has it really become that inferior? Is it suddenly so inferrior that you don't like it at all now?

I am confused by that. The new Seekers designed for east coast might be killer but that wouldn't make me suddenly think everyone else sucks.

Is it a matter of having the next new thing on the block?

Or is it a matter of going with what someone else says is the next best thing because that someone said so?

I am only trying to understand the logic.

When everyone one on this board was pushing GUSA rods I was saying they were no good anymore but I got attacked for questioning them. I questioned them because people out here had already been screwed over by them. I was simply trying to warn people of a potential problem.

Try getting a warrenty on one of those rods now.

The real GUSA rods were great the later ones sucked period.

I think it comes down to trial and error not everyone one is going to like the new Seeker jigging blanks, or ulua's.

Not everyone is going to like the new Calstar rods.

Not everyone is going to like the new shikari

Not everyone is going to like the new Gusa or what ever name they are going to use once production starts.

Not everyone is going to like the new phenix blanks.

And don't forget Gary Loomis is about to start a new rod company....His "will not compete" clause with Shimano is up.

But I bet if you give all of those blanks and lines a fair try you will find quite a few that you like and quite a few rods that fit your particular taste and style.

WOW all good news for a change beers.gif ...

Cant wait to try out some of the new GUSA...

Lest not forget that B4040.gif is starting up a new Eastcoast blank company.. I have seen some of the new blanks clapping.gif ...

Nice write-up GS. I've got a set of super seeker blanks that I'm building for a long-range trip (20, 30, 40, & 50# rigs), & with all this new blank craze, I've gotten into a panic at times. I still have yet to build the 40 & 50# rigs (6470, & 6470H) but I have decided to follow through with it. I know I can't go wrong with these blanks, the quality is excellent & I know that they are a proven product. In retrospect, I wish I would have gone with thinner butt blanks since I'm running Accurate reels on all of them (narrow reel clamp bolts), but with a little improvising, I will be able to make reels work on the SS's. Phenix & GUSA look like great products but I'm going to have to pull on one to prove it to myself. Can these thinner butt blanks, with softer actions, really take command & turn a fish? I know that the heavy backbone & softer tip on the SS's will be able to. I would think that the Phenix & GUSA style blanks be good for jigging applications. Thanks.

It's just my 2 cents, but I think that guys become loyal to a brand because it's a hell of a lot easier getting familiar with one company's blank line than it is to know the ins and outs of many different manufacturers.

Take a look at the new Mudhole catalog. There are literally thousands of blanks, from at least a dozen manufacturers. How is one person supposed to be intimately familiar with all of them? Even tossing the freshwater blanks, how is one person supposed to internalize the saltwater blanks? I bet there's not one person on this board who can tell you the ins and outs of all the saltwater blanks from Lami, St. Croix, and Seeker -- just to name three manufacturers. Add a few more blank makers, and it's just too much information for one lowly mortal to process.

So what many up doing is sticking with one maker, and getting to know that lineup well. You can see it here with the Lami G1000 surf/bar series. These of course are good blanks, but there are a lot of other good surf blanks out there, too. Guys end up sticking with these models because they're a known commodity, and the performance characteristics of them are well-established. When you're going to be shelling out $150 or more for a blank, it's hard to blame a guy who doesn't want to venture into the unknown.

So what do I do? I'm a skunk -- I have very little brand loyalty. When I'm looking for a blank, I look for whatever maker has something with the specs (and price) I'm looking for. It doesn't matter much to me if it's Company Q or Company X.

No Belmo that is perfect you go for what feels right to you after comparing feel and price that is exactly what you are suppose to do.

And yes it is impossible to know every blank by every brand.

I was simply stating my surprise in the lack of interest in Gusa suddenly even though the product will be better then is was and 6 months ago everyone on here loved them.

I never brought Lami into the equation because they simply have the surf fisherman covered meaning not many other blank companies are going after that market. and there is no point trying to make comparisons because it is impossible to do so.

All of the blank manufactuers mentioned make a great product seeker, calstar,gusa,phenix, shikari. I am not saying st. croix or lami dont I was just leaving them out of the particular disscusion because everyone already knows what they have and how they are.

For me brand loyal? kind of! Seeker for me is a company listening and willing to do for us. GUSA I can't comment on fishing wise but they did make a great blank. Calstar is another great company and make a good selection to choose. Shakari will have to prove them selves again to me. I still have some Shakari blanks and also a few ATC and the ATCs left me flat.

I buy all kinds of blanks, Lami, Seeker, Talon are the ones I buy most at the moment but I used to buy alot of All Star and US made Pacbay/Sabre.

The Seeker talk recently is due to what I said above, They are willing to give us what we want and listen to builders like 40.gif and Grumpy and fishers like Butch (Lureman) That to me shows a company that has guts and is willing to do what it takes. That deserves some kudos! The rest of the companys all build fine products though! You wouldn't know it about Lamiglas since it seems they get B!tch slapped an allful lot!

yeah I understand that I am glad they are doing that for you it is great that you are going American as well.

My comments were more angled at the fact that suddenly it seems like nobody likes gusa anymore, the seeker blanks are direct mimics of the gusa rods they were sent. and what became of the gusa rods you already have are they unfishable? Is a composite mega mag better then a dual helix mega mag?

I understand Joe at seeker is helping you out but he also said these aren't production rods they were a limited run. Meaning he doesn't want to put out blanks for someone only to have them sold in a rack in a store against his own super seekers. the 2x4 is one of the main rods he will be pushing this year along with the longer ulua's.

And how would that make gusa suddenly inferior?

I am only trying to understand.

The Talon rods are very nice the original designer from them was stolen by gary loomis a long time ago.

and yes I agree I never liked the atc rods.

Myself I am fishing the phenix rods for the most part on longer range trips I fish seeker or calstar because they make the rail rods.

I fish some gusa rods for bass still and I will when feeling nostalgic fish a truline,sabre,Harnell.

I don't think it's an no one like GUSA it's just that once your gone from the market and NLA and someone picks up where you left off, Your no longer in the game. Builders must go and seek out what is available to replace what you had. It happens quite often in this business. The last real kind of big deal was All Star. I considered that a punch in the eye.

Randy and crew at Seeker has found an opening to supply the east Coast with what they want and with Help from Billy 40 we will have a GUSA type blank made available to us builders and fishers. Butch and the Grumpys crew took an area that west coast rod builders don't get to see much and fed Seeker with info to devolop a good casting surf rod. They will expand on this line for sure.

Last year at High Point NC rod builders show you couldn't get a word in edge wise with the Seeker bunch as Mike and the Grump were talking the guys ears off. They both saw an oppertunity to make something happen and it is. The fact that Seeker is working with these guys is what makes them a worth checking out company.

If GUSA can make a come back all the more power to them. I don't think their name has been tarnished so they have a chance. The fact that Lamiglas has such an Eastcoast following blows my mind, But they cater to the surf guys and make what they want or need. That's the one thing about the blank mfgs, They get piegon holed some what. Seeker Boat, Calstar Boat, Lami Surf,St.croix fresh ect..... Seeker is seeing a break out point and taking it.

When you do half of what I did to get people turned onto GUSA's in this area, you'll be taken seriously. You came here badmouthing GUSA and spamming Phenix, and you act as if people have forgotten that fact. Now all of a sudden you are GUSA's #1 fan and so concerned that people don't like them anymore.

When a company is not in business, nobody will want to buy their products.

Really who am I am spamming now Billy?

Are you really going to try to pull that card this is your own private infommercial here your like the shamwow guy you can feed whatever you want to anyone that will listen. (at least you have a good product now)

No I am not gusa's number one fan I am only curious why the rods that were good awhile back arent now..

You are the biggest spammer on this board and need to realize how it looks to suddenly be anti gusa after being pro gusa for so long. (people are watching)

When the new company is producing blanks 3 to 4 months I wonder how pro billy they will be? especially if you cant get anymore gusa copies from seeker?

I was warning people about the problems gusa was having as they had already been screwing people on the west coast and rods were already breaking. (might have saved a few people some money)

You didnt want to hear that as that was the product you were pushing.

Well I am not pushing anything right here I am questioning what makes one brand better then the next?

How is Seeker better then calstar, other then the fact that they are producing the blanks for you? both american made both composites both made on the west coast.

How would you begin to compare gusa, shikari or phenix as they are all thin diameter graphites totally different uses from the calstars and seekers.

that would appeal to a differnt crowd.

I was not making this personal I was simply questioning not so much why you would switch brands but why you wouldnt like your old rods the rods you had already been fishing. I might like something new more but I wouldnt stop liking the older rods.

#1 Spammer 40 - who answers every question on the forum I possibly can. There's a big difference between you & I, I contribute info, you only spam.

Where has anyone badmouthed or turned their baack on GUSA?

What's funny is the ONLY person who has said anythign negative about GUSA here, is YOU, and I've had to put you in your place each an every time. Everyone on this forum who has purchased GUSA's from me, has bought all the ones you have told people time and time again were trash. So now what you are saying is everything I was sellign was garbage, but you are upset that people arent' supporting GUSA now and htey fell out of love with them, when the only person on the forum who has anything negative to say is you.

YOu Cali guys are a funny bunch.

View Post

to suddenly be anti gusa after being pro gusa for so long. (people are watching).

Anti GUSA - show me a single iota of proof of this on this or any forums I post on.

Teh truth is that I am STILL selling GUSA's, both blanks and finished rods. I sold 4 of them on Sunday, to SOL members Capt Richi & Looney Tunes, 3 more to another guy who doenst' post here (Ken B), a URC40XH to MAkoman, and a couple of 70 MEga's to a guy in Cali. I am also working on getting an order to build another 76 MEga.

Offer up some evidence of your BS. I get the feeling you're going to be antoher notch on my belt.

overall, i'm a little confused by your thread. most if this is known information to many rod builders as it is our job to stay on top of this information. much of this is geared towards the general public and deciding on what company makes the best rod/blank for their purpose.

View PostAll I am saying is how does the loyalty shift so completely from rod maker to rod maker? Who determines when a rod is no good anymore? Take the rod you thought was the best 6 months ago has it really become that inferior? Is it suddenly so inferrior that you don't like it at all now?

what determines when a rod/blank is no longer good? lack of sales, poor quality, company goes belly up, someting better is introduced.

loyalty shift - some people become loyal to a company due to what is posted here or on other forums. they may buy a rod or build a few on their blanks and now they are "sold". the whole company is great, for only a few blanks this person may build on or rods a person may buy. for others, it's costs. they can buy company A's blanks for 30%-50% cheaper than company B's blanks for the same purpose and sell more rods due to a lesser priced rod when complete. many cant always stock $200+ blanks, but $50-100 blanks are easier to stock. or, sell a rod built on some of these higher end blanks. so, the builder becomes more experienced w/ that company's line of blanks for that purpose and pushes that lineup. but, another builder may build on another company's blanks and push them. some, may suggest several companies' blanks for that same purpose because they want to put the best rod/blank in the customer's hands, no matter the manufacturer. that builder has experience in several manufacturer's blanks and although they may suggest a few companies, the only loyalty is one where the blank has been proven in sales and there have been few, if any warranty returns.

why change? you need or want a new rod. you go and see what's new or similar to what you like. you may go with a newer generation super seeker or super surf-type line, or you may go with a tri-flex or grafigher-type series, or you may stick w/ gold 'ol glass. your budget or preference may be the judge. who has enough rods anyway??? we always want more rods.

as far as billy, he has been more than helpful to many on this forum (and other forums) over the last year+. he's one of the first to "think outside the box" and push that onto others on this forum. as a businessman, why wouldn't he push gusa, nerbs, thread art, or the new seeker blanks? i see very few doing the type of testing billy does on any product and then post the results for all to see. many would just push a new product for a quick sale and worry about damage control later.

SW, there has been no loyalty shift whatsoever. You cannot be loyal to a company which doesn't exist. What you can do is type a lot of words and try to make people believe that is what's going on, sort of like Reverend Al Sharpton and Tawana Brawley. REgardless of the facts, peoplelistened because Al made a lot of noise, which is the same exact thing this guy is doing here.

Dont' forget...people are watching. OMG, I'm being spied upon by Californians,lol.

Snoopy_and_the_king_2.jpg