Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grassy Sound Bass

Used VS's

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

i don't know, feels like a cleaner slate to begin with for me (plus it keeps extra resale value). i'm not sure whether or not you have to pay to re-register a VS, but it's just 1 hassle you don't have to go through when you buy it unregistered.

View Posti don't know, feels like a cleaner slate to begin with for me (plus it keeps extra resale value). I'm not sure whether or not you have to pay to re-register a VS, but it's just 1 hassle you don't have to go through when you buy it unregistered.

I purchased a used registered VS200. It came with all of the service records. One simple call and one email ,done. I was registered at no charge. If the counter weight is on the outside of the reel I believe that means the drag is sealed. If the outer casing of the reel seems clean and taken care of there is a good chance the rest of it is as well. Send it in for a factory service and you should be as good as new. Good luck

View Posti'd be looking for

external counterweight

made in usa

unregistered

recently serviced

I sort of agree:

external counterweight b/c it represents the more recent design (sealed drags).

Made in USA b/c I'm patrioitc, but that will become less important as Chinese made reels will likely improve on past designs (this may take a few years, but not many if they are not already being made better overseas)

Unregistered-not overly important to me. (but I would contact VS directly anyway)

Recently serviced - that would be nice if dunked, fished hard, and maybe over 2 years old. (really depends on usage, not age though)

Just my .02

How do you tell the difference between one with the flawed folding handle and a new ( replacement ) handle. I ask because I don't own one and I don't many real well know that do. Maybe someone has pictures of both for an example? I would rather stay away from one that had a problem before if possible.

GSB

I was once told that all VS150 come with sealed drag. My 150 is in low #2000 and it has what seems like a black seal at the drag. VS will register your reel when you send it for reservicing.