Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ribasser

Reel for Lamiglas Ron Arra 1083

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I recently received Lamiglas Ron Arra 1083 as a gift and am looking to purchase a reel for it. Have been told a number of reels from a number of people. Unfortunately, I can't afford a Van Stall otherwise I would not need to go any further. I have been told a Quantum Cabo 40, a 50, or a 60. A Shimano Sustain 8000 was also suggested. A Penn Slammer 560 was also suggested. I am looking to use Trilene Big Game 17 lb. Please let me know what you think of the suggested reels. Thanks.

i'd go with a sustain (great reels) except i'd go for the 5000 size. i had one on my 1204 for a while and loved it, it'd kick arse on a 9'er

edit: i noticed you wanted to use 17# big game, big game is actually larger than most mono's so their 17 is probably 20# in any other mono. that'll mean you wont get jack for line on the shimano, so i suggest switches to 30 or even 50# braid and grabbing the sustain

View PostOr for a little less than the sustain a stradic 5000. I would consider downsizing the mono to about 12 # though to get some casting distance or going with braid.

agreed, good advice. and remember you're not gonna be throwing big plugs with that rod, so keep in mind that a smaller reel, and 20 or 30# braid will make casting those smaller baits easier.

A Stradic 8000 will hold enough 17lb big game.

A Slammer 560 will also hold enough.

Even though the Slammer is $50 less at the store, it doesn't come with a spare spool like the Stradic does. Once you buy a spare spool (which you should have for any reel you're surf fishing with) they're pretty close to the same.

If you want to save a few bucks, the Spheros 8000 has slightly less line capacity than the Stradic, but still enough and there is a factory bail-less kit, which is a big plus.

I use the 8000 on some 9 footers. It balances out OK. Could be lighter, but it works.

Weighs the same as the 6000 model. The 5000 Spheros also weighs the same. The Stradic 5000 is the exception, it uses a smaller frame and would balance out great on that rod but would force you to use braid- nowhere near enough mono capacity for surf fishing.

A Penn 550ssg would balance out well on that rod, but I'd go with 15lb test or another thinner brand to get a little more line on.

Using mono is the big limiting factor with a light rod like that. There aren't many lightweight reels that have enough line capacity for mono when surf fishing, other than the ZB or the VS.

I've heard that the shimanos are not great for the surf. The guy at the local tackle shop who repairs the reels said that he would recommend the penn 560 due to weight and line capacity.

View PostA Stradic 8000 will hold enough 17lb big game.

A Slammer 560 will also hold enough.

I agree with the Slammer but I would go with the 460 on a 9' rod...

Fill it with 40lb Suffix.

Chris

BTW--there's no such thing as 17# Big Game. It comes in 12#, 15# and 20#, but not in 14# or 17# wink.gif

I would go with 12# or 15# on a reel for the 1083. If you're fishing the type of water where you need 20, the 1083 isn't the right gun for that hunt.

View PostBTW--there's no such thing as 17# Big Game. It comes in 12#, 15# and 20#, but not in 14# or 17# wink.gif

I would go with 12# or 15# on a reel for the 1083. If you're fishing the type of water where you need 20, the 1083 isn't the right gun for that hunt.

dj you sure? i think i've got a spool of 17 in my basement

I own the arra 1083, a very sweet plugging stick,

I own many beautiful reels, the reel that I use on that Rod is a wavespin DH5000. No birds nests ever, I use 20 pound stealth braid and with the new upgrades they made to that reel ( all new anti corrosion fully sealed saltwater bearings, special synthetic grease impregnated drag "totally waterproof", stainless steel flatlipped extra corrosion proof drag washers, special rubber jacket over the instant anti reverse) now these 3rd generation DH5000 reels are very salt whorthy.. they are light, smoother than a shimano, casts "really far with no windknots ever", and the best part is that the reel is like 109 bucks. With a guarantee.

And I really respect the way Doug Hannon just kept up grading his reel continously and nade these upgrades ava,able to his customers "FREE OF CHARGE" when if ever have you heard that before.

I love my Doug Hannon wave spin DH5000 reel it sits on my ARRA 1083 with pride.

On my 10 foot arra I now have a beautiful ABU SORON 60drool.gif only 15 ounces icon14.gif