Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dogtagger

Penn 155, 160, 180 and 200

12 posts in this topic

Gents,

I'm trying to get some information on these old penn reels. What are the differences between of these models? I assume the 200 is the largest, is it roughly a 2/0 size reel? I'm looking for a couple of reels to put 4-5 colors of lead core line for trolling salmon and togue here in Maine, but don't want to throw down for an expensive reel.

Actually the 155, Beachmaster, and the 200, Surfmaster are the same size.

The 160 Beachmaster is not as wide as it's sister the 155.

And the 180, Baymaster is what it is as well.

Do a site search, using the search feature above^, or do a Google search. There is a ton of info out there on these reels. Part of learning about this thing we do, is doing your homework, my friend.smile.gif

Dogtagger,

Never fished lead core line so I am not speaking from experience here, but maybe this will help. A Penn 2/0 111 reel has a spool capacity of 275yds. of 30# mono, and the closest to that would be a Penn Jigmaster 500 having the same capacity, but has a 4:1 retrieve unlike the slower Penn 111.

The 200/155 Penns have 250/30, the 180 is 250/20 and the 160 is 175/30.

Your going to have to figure out what that converts to with lead core line. I thought I saw a nice Penn 112H 3/0 for sale in the BST forum for 45 dollars with the chrome spool. That maybe right for you if the others are short on spool capacity.

Stevesmile.gif

Thanks for the help guys. The line I'm using is about 0.033" in dia., about the same as 60-80 lb mono. Each color is 30 feet, so I'm only looking to get about 150 feet on line on the reel, so I would guess that any of them would work. If I could get more line on, then all the better up to a point. Right now I'm using a couple of hand-me-down Herter's 12s reels. They are ok, but the drags are steel on brass.

I've got a couple of jigmasters, so maybe I'll keep an eye open for a 160/180.

Thanks again, great site.

For trolling with wire/lead core why not use the Penn 49 or the 349 as they were designed and built for this type of trolling they are plentiful and sell for 40-45 in nice shape, 349 has on hell of big drag, the 49 holds approx 150/160 yds of 16 strand braided stainless stuff as that is what i took off two of the 49 i bought , (Still got it ) the 349 holds little more wire or line (50Lb) just some ideas to kick around Al

Well, I solved half my problem... I pulled out a retired Penn 209, and discovered it holds 7 colors of lead, and its a bit more compact that the Herter's reel it will replace. Line capacity on the 209 is 320yd of 20 lb mono. Wish I had another one sitting around. I have a 309, but that is too big.

Thanks Al, the big pens are bigger than I need. Most of the fish we catch are 15-20" with an outside chance at a 10lb togue. Most guys troll with reels designed for mooching salmon on the west coast-kind of an oversize fly reel. I wanted to go with a conventional reel because they have better drags and less problems with tangles.

dog, try the penn 210, 209 on steroids. best trolling reel i own by far. I dont need anything bigger actually but if i did would go with the 3/0 or 4/0 senators. The 210 is on fleabay by the dozens

View PostWell, I solved half my problem... I pulled out a retired Penn 209, and discovered it holds 7 colors of lead, and its a bit more compact that the Herter's reel it will replace. Line capacity on the 209 is 320yd of 20 lb mono. Wish I had another one sitting around. I have a 309, but that is too big.

Thanks Al, the big pens are bigger than I need. Most of the fish we catch are 15-20" with an outside chance at a 10lb togue. Most guys troll with reels designed for mooching salmon on the west coast-kind of an oversize fly reel. I wanted to go with a conventional reel because they have better drags and less problems with tangles.

Your 209 is the best reel for your needs, I have used them many times with lead-core and they work perfect, So sorry I sold mine W/line but still have a few in stash cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

Well Slick the 209/ 210 also has level wind to go bad, and man said he only needed 150 ft of lead core line, personally i would not run wire line through a level wind Reel, i think this is just asking for trouble, mono sure, braid perhaps. How ever your call, i would use the 2/0 3/0 after all 150ft isnt far at all .