Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bass-o-matic

What to do if you wife puts a Porterhouse in the Freezer

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I think when you freeze a good steak it really ruins it for the grill. However, last night I made the following recipe from the Food network and really liked it using a frozen Porterhouse.icon14.gif

Porterhouse Steak with Fra Diavolo BBQ Sauce and Cherry Peppers in Vinaigrette

Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay

Prep Time:25 minInactive Prep Time:35 minCook Time:1 hr 0 min Level:Easy Serves:4 servings

BT0105_Porterhouse-Steaks_med.jpg

Ingredients

Fra Diavolo BBQ Sauce:

• 3 tablespoons olive oil

• 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped

• 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

• 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

• 3 cups canned plum tomatoes, pureed

• 2 tablespoons tomato paste

• 1 cup dark brown sugar

• 2 tablespoons honey

• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves

• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 2 porterhouse steaks, about 1 1/2-inches thick

• Cherry Pepper-Tomato in Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Fra Diavolo BBQ Sauce:

Directions

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, about 35 to 40 minutes.

Heat grill to high. Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill, on 1 side, until crusty and slightly charred, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn steaks over, close the hood and continue grilling for 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Baste with the sauce during the last few minutes. Remove from the grill and brush with more of the sauce. Let meat rest for 5 minutes, then slice into 1/4 inch thick slices and top with the Cherry Pepper-Tomato salad.

Cherry Pepper-Tomato in Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 pound cherry peppers, stemmed, seeded and roasted or prepared (in jar), sliced

2 piquillo peppers, sliced

1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, sliced in 1/2

1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Whisk together vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the peppers, tomatoes and parsley and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning and let sit 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.

If I eat steak I want steak, not tomatoes, cherry peppers wine etc. Miy as well make a pot roast or saurbratten. Your hiding or covering up the taste of the meat. Nah I'll stick to Venison . But as long as you and the famoly enjoy it that's what counts.

View PostIf I eat steak I want steak, not tomatoes, cherry peppers wine etc. Miy as well make a pot roast or saurbratten. Your hiding or covering up the taste of the meat. Nah I'll stick to Venison . But as long as you and the famoly enjoy it that's what counts.

That's the point the meat was frozen ruining the taste.

I freeze them all the time when they are on sale, I just make sure that I use the vacuum sealer on it. In fact I will be buying some rib eyes this week since Shop Rite has them on sale for $3.99lb.