Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RegDunlop

VS 150 on a 9ft or 10ft?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I don't think that's what he asked. beatin.gif I have been wondering the same thing. In Zeno's new book Steve McKenna says he uses 200's on rods down to 8'! It sure would save me some dough if i could get away with it!

If anything, I would opt for the larger reel. The 200 might be a little on the larger size for a 9' (of course that depends on the ratings of the particular rod), but is ideal on a 10' rod. Better to be overgunned than undergunned in my opinion. I use a 200 on an Allstar 1088. But that rod is rated 2-5oz and balances pretty decent with the 200. Then I can switch that reel off and use it on my 10' sticks as well.

If I was going to have one reel for those two size rods, I'd choose a VS 200.

If the budget allows for two VS's, I'd choose a VS 150 and a VS 250.

I use a VS150 on my 9" rods and on my arra 1204. The 1204 and my 10' st croix also feel fine with a 250. I know some guys think the 200 is the "right" size for a 10' rod, but I think that's overkill in trying to find a match that is spot on. The action/weight of the rod would be just us much a factor as the length anyway.

View PostI use a VS150 on my 9" rods and on my arra 1204. The 1204 and my 10' st croix also feel fine with a 250. I know some guys think the 200 is the "right" size for a 10' rod, but I think that's overkill in trying to find a match that is spot on. The action/weight of the rod would be just us much a factor as the length anyway.

Me too ... exact same reels and similar rods.

I've used my VS150 on 7' to 9 ft rods (light action rods)

I've used my VS250 on the 9' to 11 ft rods.

Not at all Bro, I sometimes put the VS150 on my 9ft.Arra1084 but I wouldn't use it on a 10ftr. I purchased a 9ft.Lami Surfking from one of our members and that may well be my 150's new home smile.gif

Its personal preference. I have a 150 on my 9ft and 10ft rod. Balances just fine. 150 will stop a train and has plenty of line capacity for most application WHERE I FISH. Thats the key, Im fishing NJ beaches and Jettys where I have plenty of room. If your fishing in tight boulder strewn areas where you really need to horse that big fish then a 200 or 250 might be better for you cuase you will get a little more torque.

I own both, and a handful of 9 and 10 foot rods.

If I needed one reel for both 9 and 10 footers, it would be the 200.

If I was only using 9 feet and below, it would be a 150.

If I was only using 10 feet and up I'd probably get a 250 (I don't own a 250, though).

last fall i had my 150 on a 1204-2, fit well. now i've got it on a 1084, feels fine to me. i like my reels a tad small for the most part, so i loved it on the 10', but it feels equally good on the 9'.