Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patno6

who thinks a german beer house would work on the cape?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

i'm always thinking about what kind of restaurant to open, when i eventually do, and my mind always wanders around a bunch of different concepts. last night i was thinking about a bavarian restaurant with classic german food, lots of sausages (home-made of course) and all kinds of german beers. think it would work? there are very few german restaurants in the area, probably because there area very few german immigrants in this area compared to the other immigrant population, but i don't know if that'd kill it. just curious of your thoughts on this.

I went to Germany for a ski trip and drank beer the whole time.

Shots of peach williams.

I have to say that if you can get Real German beer in you restaurant I would be there weekly. Our beer sucks compared to the small pubs over there. I think it would work out great. Have to find real German beer..

Love that kind of menu.

By the way I have 26 beers a year. I had about 9 liters a day over there with about a fifth of that peach stuff on the slopes...

View PostSounds wrong to me.

Just an emotional response, mind you.

Have we not done the "cool guy" beer thing already?

while i agree, i've always felt that the high end beer market in this country has been dominated by english ales and belgiun beers. while i have always felt that german beers were better, at least to my own palette. and that's what i want is an emotional response. if you'd go to a restaurant where you could get a plate of saurbraten, or bratwurst and a big mug of german lager, i then it could work, if not, then it wouldn't. its all about understanding the market, and i was just putting a feeler out for that.

Not sure about the cape, but I think in suburban Boston area it could work....I'd go, but then I loved Bavarian food when I visited there.

Lager, eh.....give me dunkleweiss! drool.gif

View Posti'm always thinking about what kind of restaurant to open, when i eventually do, and my mind always wanders around a bunch of different concepts. last night i was thinking about a bavarian restaurant with classic german food, lots of sausages (home-made of course) and all kinds of german beers. think it would work? there are very few german restaurants in the area, probably because there area very few german immigrants in this area compared to the other immigrant population, but i don't know if that'd kill it. just curious of your thoughts on this.

Check your PMssmile.gif

There's a place up near Annapolis called The Old Stein Inn. It has been in business for years and I guess that says something. My background is German/Austrian and while I don't know what ethnic groups are in the area you are trying to start up, if you have good food, good beer and good service I think you could do reasonably well anyplace. You are sort of limiting your audience to only German food though.

Old Stein Inn has actual German brew on tap and a lot of variety. Food is just OK, but I've only been once, and it could have been an off night.

Weeping Radish seems to do pretty well down on the Outer Banks...

Based on my own observations while dining out on the road and near home, Italian, Irish, Mexican, Japanese and Thai places have crowds which are very diverse. The few German places I've eaten are full of Germans. I also don't hear "let's go for German tonite"; maybe twice in the past ten years of job-related dinners. It's either steak, seafood or one of the ethnic groups I listed above. I would think you'll have a hard time keeping the place full if there aren't many Germans around.

Good luck if you do it.

View Postnot in the bus but cape seems tough area to make it in, you have about 3 mos in the summer to do your bus and then deadsville

not entirely true, if we're talking upper cape. there are more than enough year-rounders these days to keep a handful of restaurants afloat all year. the trick is to be one of the better of the bunch, and get into that handful. the plan to open something in the upper-cape area is something i've been planning on for the last 10 or so years, and having worked in a number of them over the years, i have some idea of what to expect based on revenue. the only question is how best to win over a crowd in that area. i have a few loose business models that i know could be successful, but i'm always thinking of a way to expand/change that in order to open up a new and bigger market.

I love German food, but I think like someone else said German places tend to have mostly only a German crowd. If you aint got lots of them around, it might not be a hit. I dont know the area at all so I cant speak on that matter. I know I'd surely go if I was there but...Thats just me

Maybe theres a reason there aren't any. cwm40.gif The Cape is a weird place for business and the natives there are well known as being tightwads as well as being standoffish to newcomers, they'd let you burn to death before pissing on you.

I'm a frequent restaurant visitor, its mostly Italian, American, Chinese, and occasionally Mexican. If I frequent French, German, Indian or others its usually only on rare occasions and I'm rarely impressed.

Again, is there anything better than good Italian?

View PostMaybe theres a reason there aren't any. cwm40.gif

there was one. in the cape cod mall, actually, though it closed about 20 years ago. seemed successful enough while it was around, though.