Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wetaline

Very Impressed with "On the Water" Magazine

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

In the past I have read "On the Water"(OTW). It had great articles with lots of comprehensive info. They had real nice pictures as well. But it only covered New England. And I knew that they were a well respected publication.

At the show last week I stopped by the On the Water booth and was happily surprised to see that they now are offering a NY/NJ edition...YES!

So I talking to the guy working the table while thumbing through the magazine. There was articles by Crazy Al, Craig Cantelmo from VS and a bunch of other really good articles. Pictures were in color and there wasn't an over abundance of advertising that overwhelms many other fishing publications. Needless to say I was pretty impressed with OTW and subscribed right on the spot for 2 years. They gave me a hat,and a NY/NJ and New England issue. I've been reading them all week and it refreshing to read Quality articles

Sadly, I'm going to say goodbye to the Long Island fisherman. They just haven't kept up with the times or demand for me. I feel it was just too little too late... The reports section dominates the paper. Many of the reports are pure propaganda and inaccurate. (I've never been a report chaser but have friends that work a few boats) . I have subscribed to the Fisherman off and on for 30 years. I have met Fred and Tom on several occasions. And I personally know Michael Caruso. There all great guys and I wish them well but I'm moving on to what I feel is a better publication.

I'm looking forward to my first issue of OTW.

By the way,I didn't write this to bash the fisherman. it's just my opinion.

The NY/NJ edition was a special edition made to catch your eye. I don't think the final product will look like that. You won't get as many articles in the final product. I like the magazine and have the New England edition delivered to the house here on Long Island. Some people that I know won't buy it because they support that "kill tournament" up north. It really doesn't bother me.

OTW is a nice publication and I have enjoyed the New England publication. If I lived in New England I would have a problem with the "Insiders Stories" in the rear of the magazine, they are way to specific and will hurt NY/NJ if done in the same manner as the NE copy. If they do handle that portion of the magazine the same way I will no longer subscribe to it, despite it's other good qualities.

I am also a Fisherman subscriber and feel the competition will help make "our" local magazine that much better. Fred Golofaro isn't going to let the competition get the better of him or our magazine!!!!! I enjoy the weekly publication that was born here on Long Island. My Dad always subscribed to "The Long Island Fisherman", and so will I.

Stevesmile.gif

Talk about repeating articles.... I can predict to the week that the LI Fisherman has the Milt Rosko artilces about mackeral in the spring and the fishing the East River late in the fall. As a matter of fact, its basically the same article with different pictures and a few new sentences here or there. And it's not just the Rosko articles, it's all the regular contributors regurgitating the same stuff, year after year.

I've been a subscriber to both magazines for years now, and I would say that OTW has much better articles on how to catch fish, with very little repetition by the same author. Agreed, that many topics are repeated, but the same article, by the same author, I've never seen it in OTW like I do in the LI Fisherman.

I was impressed too by OTW. I signed up on the spot for a subscription. But I forgot to ask when to expect issues.

Does anybody know if they are monthly? weekly?

When will the first NY area one be delivered?

Did anybody ask?

I forgot to ask.

View PostOTW is ok, but they seem to repeat many of the same stories and pictures year after year. Half of the mag. is advertising.

And... In the NY/NJ edition, all of the advertising were from New England based places.

Chris

I've been subscribing to the New England edition of OTW and like it alot so I'll probably try the NY/NJ edition as well. One thing I never liked is the large format. I like to clip out and save some of the articles but the large format makes it a pain. I never understood why they do that.

I've been a Fisherman reader for many, many years and will probably continue my subscription. But the last few years they have really dropped the ball on the issues they put out in the winter months. This is the time of year when people actually have some time to read the articles but it seems they just get very lightweight at this time. OTW is consistent the whole year.

Great magazine for 25$ a year.......but the last few years they went to far with some of the articles with maps and instructions like cast here with red XXX `s all over. I can see it now some Great Surf legend who has been fishing these waters for maybe 5yrs or a new hotshot SURFGUIDE sellin out and blowin up a bunch of places in the magazine to collect a check hopefully it wont be like that......................Johnny