Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Fishing at Scusset today?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I took the dog for his run at Scusset today, and saw someone in an SUV park at the bath house, and walk down to the beach with a surf rod and bucket in hand.

Was it anyone from SOL?

View PostWhat the heck would he be fishing for? Longshot codfish maybe?

That, or pollock. Maybe he just got sick of cabin fever.

Pollock show every now and then--a couple of weeks ago I was walking the dogs at a UDL, and saw gullls wheeling over a commotion in the water across the way. It wasn't the eiders splashing as they dove to pick mussels, either wink.gif

A few years ago on a nice day in Feb I headed down to the canal to see if I could catch a fish. To my surprise it was pretty wide open.

I had never seen such a good sea robin bite before.cwm27.gif

View Postmaybe plugs in the bucket and he was giving some new gear a test run?

That's what I was thinking. I just got back from swimming a freshwater proto for a buddy who fishes tourneys.

I got a few odd looks casting a new reel down at Plymouth Haba yesterday. I was wondering what they thought..

A fishing chum caught 1 very short cod and what he called a harbor pollock on Sunday somewhere around the Scituate rocks. Makes me want to throw a clam or two. Break out your Binos and I bet you can see high flyers..

The old Marshfield H.M. has told me getting cod from shore in late winter was once pretty common. I've tried but the only thing I caught was cold.

Theres hope yet..smile.gif

one will always have hope, but one needs to get out and put the bait in the water to find out if it is hopelessbiggrin.gif Only by going out with some sort of schedule to fish a particular spot will you ever know if the fish are active or not. It may take severel trips before you find out what the schedule is for the fish to have an open mouthwink.gif Pick a location and pick a part of the tide and experiment with it. Do a few trips at both ends of the tide changes low and high. I would recommend two hours before and after. So that sort of makes it a five hour trip . You may find open mouths at the last of the drop or at the beginning of the incomming. At other times you may find them if they are feeding two hours prior to high or two hours after. Then again at times you may find them inbetween. Have a plan and stick to it and do it systematically for best over all success. In case that does not work find another location and work that the same way. Only by being consistant in your approach will you get to find out if any fish are indeed aroundcwm15.gif

Now should you find some fish bring a buddy with you you may find a spot along the beach or a jetty where the action is better and it may only be a matter of a few yards.

The only problem with cod fishing from the jetties in winter is that it's colder than my wifes heart out there. cwm31.gif

I do see myself soaking a clam or two for cod before the bass arrive just to get out. One thing about winter fishing is that there is not much competition.

You are right about when you say you can't fish without your bait in the water is true but standing at the Gut for five hours!! Your tougher than shoe leather.

smile.gif

is to dead stick the rod and sit in the car. Left side best incomming to the right of the old boat launch. That is unless you decide to fish out front along the split with all of the rocks. Right after the pond you drive over on the right side. Lanterns at night reguired.biggrin.gif

Do people ever pick up any cod?? I haven't seen one caught from shore around there in years. Last time I seriously fished for them in the canal was in the mid sixtys. I remember catching them from scussett all the way down to BSP.

View PostDo people ever pick up any cod?? I haven't seen one caught from shore around there in years. Last time I seriously fished for them in the canal was in the mid sixtys. I remember catching them from scussett all the way down to BSP.

You're right Pete. We used to catch them through the entire length. Some nights in the fall, my Dad and I would catch them on skins one after another. They were sometimes a pia, b/c at times, there were more cod than bass.kooky.gif

In 1974, I took a 42 pounder behind Aptuxcet.

I can assure you, we'll never see those days again.shakehead.gif

View PostDo people ever pick up any cod?? I haven't seen one caught from shore around there in years. Last time I seriously fished for them in the canal was in the mid sixtys. I remember catching them from scussett all the way down to BSP.

You could still pick a few in the 80s and early 90s. Portagee Hole, fresh sand eels, or Red Gills, was a popular late fall spot. Spent a few Thanskgiving weekends there.

Sadly, it's no more.