Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aaron 1316

First time purchasing waders

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

First time purchasing waders.

I'll be doing a lot of fishing on the north shore LI. I've heard a lot of problems with stocking foot waders getting sand in them. Will this really be a big issue LI sound with gravel guards?

With all the walking and rocks I believe I would want the support of a shoe. What kind of sole Felt or Lug. I intend to get a pair of Korkers at some point.

Most of the stocking foot waders have integrated gravel guards built into them. If you get the Korkers wading boots, you have the interchangeable soles. You can go from carbon tipped to felt in no time. Excellent boots.

They are also lighter as well. Boot foot are a tad heavy. Add a pair of strap on Korkers, and they become down right annoying.

my breathables are stocking foot with gravel guards but the boots still seem to fill up with sand. They are lighter that boot foot waders, but I think i'm going to go with the boot foot because of the sand issue.

You will also want to consider the boot foot waders with the lace-up boots. The support they offer is excellent and makes a real different from non-lace up bootfoot waders. You will either want to consider a decent pair of waders at a lower cost (Cabelas) that you will likely replace every couple of years or a more expensive pair with a company with a solid warranty policy (LL Bean, Orvis, Snobee). I have had Orvis, LL Bean, Cabelas, and Snobee and they all leak over time. The leaks will occur more quickly the more frequently you are on the water.

You may want to look into the Rapid River Waders, Aquastealth Boot Foot waders from LL Bean. They are a new model and offer a new type of fabric that they claim has fewer seams and is less prone to leaks.

JOMO.

Ross

On the north shore, getting sand inside boots of stocking foot waders should not be any where near as much of a problem as the South Shore. Several people have told me that a little bit of Duck Tape where the wading boot meets the wader will eliminate 95% of the sand problems.

I've said this before...

I get minimal amount of sand in my boots. I fish both the north and south shore.

I've never had to take a boot off to empty sand.

Chris

llbean emerger, lifetime guarantee and felt soles. Best waders ive come across and ive bought all kinds. korkers have there place but felt works surprisingly well. korkers are lousy to walk with but necessary evil certain places. As far as cost goes Check points on your charge card, discover offers llbean gift cards. I also own there neoprenes for early spring, late fall & winter. Ive returned the breathables twice no question asked and i am hard on equipment

I just bought a pair of snowbee xs's today. There boot foot and I gotta say they fit pretty damn good. I would say you best bet it go and try on some on. I have always owned bootfoot waders without a problem.

I have the Three Forksâ„¢ Featherlight waders from Cabela's with the log sole bot attached. Great waders and have used them all year long. The price is great (they just went up to $69.99) and never had a leak or have anything get in. I like them better than stocking foot as I don't have to worry about sand, etc in my boots.

View PostFirst time purchasing waders.

I'll be doing a lot of fishing on the north shore LI. I've heard a lot of problems with stocking foot waders getting sand in them. Will this really be a big issue LI sound with gravel guards?

With all the walking and rocks I believe I would want the support of a shoe. What kind of sole Felt or Lug. I intend to get a pair of Korkers at some point.

If you're going to be doing a lot of rock hooping I would suggest the stocking foot wader and buy the boots separate. I use orvis waders and chota stl plus boots, I've never had a problem with sand.