Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shbeachbum

Smoke Detectors

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

View Post

Can all direct wired smoke detectors be interconnected. I need to replace 3 of mine. Also, are all basically the same as to performance?

Yes, I believe all wired smoke alarms are interconnected. They are wired so if one goes off, they all go off.

Check with your local supply house as I believe you are not suuposed to mix and match. They are supposed to be all the same kind is what my electrician told me. Also check your local code because you need to have CO detector as well.We use combo units when we are upgrading for renovations

Are you talking about detectors only, or the ones with horn's and alarms?

If there detectors only that work with a fire panel, then they may not all be connected together, they may be on seperate zones. And with those type of systems, the kitchen most times use's a different rated smoke detector.

When you pull them, There clearly marked on the back.smile.gif

How old are the existing alarms? Might make sense to replace all the alarms at the same time. There are compatibility issues that often make adding new alarms to an older system problematic. They're pretty cheap and its not hard to replace them all.

View PostHow old are the existing alarms? Might make sense to replace all the alarms at the same time. There are compatibility issues that often make adding new alarms to an older system problematic. They're pretty cheap and its not hard to replace them all.

I have a mother/daughter house and the detectors were 20+yrs. old. When my mother-in-law passed on, we don't use the addition and just completely forgot about them. I just got finished replacing all 3. Yes, when I connected the first one, the system went wild because I had the other two old ones still hooked up. Incapatibility due to mixing two different detectors.When I hooked up all 3, everything is fine. I just realized that the life of a detector is 8-10 yrs. Lucky a fire did not start. I learned that having a light in the detector & a horn does not mean the detection mechanism is still good.

Beware and check the dates on your detectors !

If the wiring present is still intact and up to code. You should be able to tell quite easily. When i wire for smoke and or combo co2/ smokes. I run 14 / 3 (Black white red and ground) romex as opposed to 14 /2 (black white and ground) If you only see 3 wires (2 + ground) in the box I would hate to say it but you would most like need to run new cabling to connect them. That can be quite expensive. Depending on how many and where they are located +- open basement/ attic/ crawl space. It could take two electricians an entire day and a thousand bucks. Snaking romex is not like fishing speaker wire its a ***** in old work apps. Expect some patcing if the floor plan isn't location friendly.

Good luck

Nick

lavish electrical services LOL

Ps if you replace one replace them all. small price to pay in the event something should happen.

View Post

When i wire for smoke and or combo co2/ smokes. I run 14 / 3 (Black white red and ground) romex as opposed to 14 /2 (black white and ground).

Good point to keep in mind. I believe you're okay running 14/2 (or 12/2) from the circuit breaker to the first detector. But after that you need that 3rd trip wire to connect the rest of them to each other. So when one sounds off, they all will.

View PostGood point to keep in mind. I believe you're okay running 14/2 (or 12/2) from the circuit breaker to the first detector. But after that you need that 3rd trip wire to connect the rest of them to each other. So when one sounds off, they all will.

He is correct. sorry for leaving that out. I was figuring using the existing wiring on the first one and then jumping them out as needed.

12/2 would be completely unneccesary, and more expensive. as well as tough to fit in the box. Especially if its a shallow metal box from back in the day. That is true 14.2 home run 14.3 jumped out to the remaining smokes.