Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danflytr

Could the baby boomers be at the root of our present economic problem?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

cwm40.gifThe more I think about the countries present day economic problems the more I think about all of the baby boomers getting ready for retirement. Most of them I think did very well with their investments. Do you think that the government does not want to pay all of these people what they earned? We seen this coming several years ago when our treasure secetary quit in the early 2000's complaining the the country was in trouble with their finances. I personally feel that if we shut down wall street and the government for ten days and keep working and paying into our investments without making interest or paying taxes for ten days that the country will recover with in 3 months. Even if we freeze our morgage payments for the ten days it will be the restart that is needed. I was a machinist for most of my life and I will tell you that if the machine starts to misfuntion it has to be stopped and reset. All of the enginering in the world won't stop this while it is in perpetual motion because of not knowing the state of every others country finances. If we where to stop for ten days. By doing so we will have the ability to put this economy back on the right track. It can be done without this expensive stimilas package that will get us no wherecwm40.gif.

This is my whole point what I am saying is freeze the economy for ten days. By doing this way you will see no bills due for that ten days past the due date. So If the country did this your rent will be due in 20 days instead of ten. Your landlord's morgage payment will be due in ten days past his or hers normal due date. Freeze the economy for at least ten days without penalty with no taxes due and this will stimulate our economy. The Government should have two weeks out of the year that its citizens are not taxed with income taxes coming from their payroll checks("Tax Free")cwm40.gif!

Why the "boomers" (my generation) is/are at fault;

We didn't like being spanked, our kids got "time-outs" Our little angels could do no wrong.

The 'time-out"s grew up and had kids, because the parents could do no wrong, these children all got trophies, nobody is a looser now.

We the "boomers" could save the world with our Liberal-Arts or literature degree.

Our kids didn't need to waste 4 years or more confined to a schedule.

Their kids can't spell or write a sentence.

This will haunt us to our graves.

I was stupid enough to not have children, today, I am thankful for that.

I am one so I don't think we are at fault. In fact I know we are not at fault. The fault is the people who made unsecure loans to unqualified people(people who can't pay back the loans) these people include illegal imigrants, low income people, people buying from abroad, drug dealers...etc. These people at the spur of the moment have and would have the ability to leave town,get busted,deported or just look at their investments as a lose and leave it up to the banks and loan companies to handle! What most of the baby boomers did that I know is invest in the stock market. Investing and not touching their investments till their investments started turning returns with compound interest! That can make investments grow at a staggering pace! To pay back all of these sucessfull retirees can break a small country. The amount is astronomical $$$$$. If you pick a startup company that went public on the stock market and invested in a lot of shares. This company grew in 20 or 30 years and you didn't take any money from your investment that investment should grow to a a very large sum for you. The blame can go out to everyone we are not spending and this will cost jobs.

The Gov does not want to see the Boomer's retirement funds shrink just when they go to cash out and retire. That's when you pay most of your taxes on it. If it shrinks and disappears so does the Gov's takecwm40.gif

I'm afraid things are much worse than a simple stop and start here. Wish that would work because it would be so simple but our economy is much more complex than any machine that exists......

John

Your right it is much worst but while things are in motion world wide the best way for resolve is to stop. After the stop see how the country pulled out of the great depression and do some of the same things. Do we have to go through the same long duration as they did back then?! I say no! H_LL NO!

A HARD STOP AND A SMART START IS WHAT HAS TO BE DONE! If we think that we can engineer our way out of this mess while it is in motion then we will lose a lot more money and jobs. Plus this will make us the laughing stock of the world and we will deserve it.