Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pksurfish

Circle hooks on Doodlebug rigs?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I am a big fan of using circle hooks for my bait fishing, finding that my fish more often stay hooked once they bite when I use a circle.

One of the rigs I make myself for use with bait is a homemade Doodlebug; I make it myself to use better quality hooks and other components. I typically cut a cylindrical float at an angle on the front end, run a leader through the hole in the float, add a bucktail, then attach a single hook (front hook), and then attach to the front hook a store bought trailer hook that comes with a large sideways eye (to fit over the bend in the front hook) and a piece of plastic tubing that goes over the eye of the trailer hook and the the point of the front hook goes through to keep the trailer hook from falling off.

Here are my questions: 1. Does it make any sense to use a circle hook as my front hook (which I have done), or does the circle hook not perform as designed when there is a trailer riding on it's bend? 2. I haven't seen any trailer hooks (with the big eye described above that are circle hooks). If I want to use a circle hook as my trailer: would that be a worthwhile idea, and how would I attach it to the front hook?

(If you don't know what a Doodlebug is, try Google and search for "Sea Striker Bait Bug" and hopefully you will come up with a photo. They are popular in NC. Personally, I have found them to increase my chances of getting a striper when the fishermen around me are catching nothing but blues. I'm not sure if it's becasue they attract stripers more than blues or because the Doodlebug/Bait Bug tends to get caught in the current and ride in the near surf where a striper may be more likely to be cruising than further out where people are casting for blues).

Thanks.

We have and use bucktail jigs, but that's different - although perhaps attractive for some of the same reasons. I usually fish a bucktail jig by casting it and then retrieving it. And normally it does not have a trailer hook. You cast the Doodlebug with a sinker - usually a fish finder - and it stays in one general location. Also, it always has a trailer hook, which is one of its main advantages.