Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Queensfisher

Oddist way you caught a stiper?

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

I would love to hear from you guys.My story is that I was black fishing got a hit and missed I thought I had no bait.So I started reeling up fast cause I wanted to get back down and about half way up my white crab got nailed I thought it was a blue and I am happy to say it was a 30" bass had a great day.Off sandy hook.

I was talking to a buddy of mine with my rod in hand and my deciever floating on top of the water about 2 feet away from me. Then ban it got hit and i pulled up a small striper, about 14 inch. Was suprised cause the water is about maybe less then 2 feet deep.

Caught, as in on a hook?

Does a seining net count?

About 35 years ago a buddy and I were seining a particular flat, in a particular river, pre-dawn cause we werent sposed to be there. Fifty foot net with 6' poles, one pass was all we needed for all the bait we could need for awhile, and sell the rest, and the crabs were for our families. Anyway, about halfway in we thought we'd snagged a tire or a mooring, or some such big heavy object. Got to the beach and we were two struggling kids dragging in the net hand over hand.

Up out of the water comes a striper about 40 some odd inches. She was big. Then I saw the eggs pouring out of her.

My buddy and I both rushed to her and rolled her out of the net and slipped her back into the river without saying a word to each other. We didnt know jack-chit then, compared to now. But we both knew what we had done.

I'll never forget the sick feeling I had that morning. It's stuck with me all my life.

My first keeper was caught off a pier. I had a hit, missed the fish and reeled in my rig, i caught a length of line with a 28" striper on the end. Now i would let it go, but it was my first and my grandma was pretty damned happy.

i got one on a asian crab while togging this fall. but the weirdest way i caught a striper had to be the time i was plugging and i hooked into a bluefish i got the fish close to me n then a striper came a ripped the plug out of the bluefishes mouth.

i snagged a bass or i should say it snagged its self on my lure .it took a swipe at my bomber plug and missed and ended up getting snagged in the tail.i thought the fish was bigger than it really was.

My clouser got snagged on a rock. I repositioned myself to free it by walking over to the other side of the bridge. A striper slapped it as it got free. Then I pulled in the small striper, tailhooked and pulling drag. It sure felt like a bigger fish.

20 years before I ever tried with a rod & reel-I caught one with my hands. 16" fish. Pinned it to the bottom at the C&R canal. Barge had come thru when we were collecting fossils.