Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishoholic

1973 19' Mako Restoration

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

Ya looks like your well under way on the project.From the looks of it. The hull looks better then I was expecting. Just looks like the biggest problelm will be digging out all that old foam. While you have it open. I would run 2 tubes to run your wires through. Just remember to run a couple of lines through them. So you can pull your wires through.

View PostYa looks like your well under way on the project.From the looks of it. The hull looks better then I was expecting. Just looks like the biggest problelm will be digging out all that old foam. While you have it open. I would run 2 tubes to run your wires through. Just remember to run a couple of lines through them. So you can pull your wires through.

I was planning on actually stepping up the rigging tube by an inch or two (depending on the clearance). I plan on re-powering next summer and I'm not a fan fighting with wire harnesses! smile.gif

Thanks for the tip though!

View PostIf you're looking for tips and how to's, check out classicmakodotcom.

I've been studying that website for months..lots of great info, thanks for the heads up either way!

View PostKeep the photos going. Going to be interesting to see this all come together step by step. By the way what is the gas tank made of ?

I believe its made out of aluminum? It seems too light to be steel. I'm not 100% sure. Either way its getting replaced.

Thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes. I'll make a post once a week. Next is removing the foam..yay! biggrin.gif

View PostIts aluminum and the tank looks like it is still servicable. I'd clean it and reuse with a new pick up and sending unit.

Really? Ya think so? I'll take out the sending unit and take a look inside. I figured it was junk, judging by everything else in the boat.

thanks!

Fishaholic-

I do not recall seeing your boat posted or discussed on the classicmako website. Was it? Sorry if I missed it there, and apologize if some of the following information is known to you already.

While this forum and website is great, and lots of very knowledgeable boat people post on it, the posters on classicmako.com can perhaps give you some additional tips and valuable experience directly related not only to older Mako restoration, but specific information pertaining to your model boat. Over there, the Mako 19 verges on a religious experience for some.

Have fun with your restoration, I admire you for taking it on. I can only imagine the feeling you will get when you eventually launch her, knowing you have brought her back to shape with your own hands.

Congratulations and best of luck with her.

BTW - my $0.02? Replace that fuel tank while you can still do it easily. Sure it is expensive to get a new Stainless steel tank, and replacing something that ain't broke seems over the top, but being that you are already there, don't cut a corner on such a vulnerable and important component. But this is easy for me to say.

View PostFishaholic-

I do not recall seeing your boat posted or discussed on the classicmako website. Was it? Sorry if I missed it there, and apologize if some of the following information is known to you already.

While this forum and website is great, and lots of very knowledgeable boat people post on it, the posters on classicmako.com can perhaps give you some additional tips and valuable experience directly related not only to older Mako restoration, but specific information pertaining to your model boat. Over there, the Mako 19 verges on a religious experience for some.

Have fun with your restoration, I admire you for taking it on. I can only imagine the feeling you will get when you eventually launch her, knowing you have brought her back to shape with your own hands.

Congratulations and best of luck with her.

BTW - my $0.02? Replace that fuel tank while you can still do it easily. Sure it is expensive to get a new Stainless steel tank, and replacing something that ain't broke seems over the top, but being that you are already there, don't cut a corner on such a vulnerable and important component. But this is easy for me to say.

Thanks brother! I havent put her up on the Mako site yet, But I will in due time. Thats where I actaully got most of my info from.. great site! I have to make a blog on my companies website as well. But in return for the documentation all of the materials are being supplied by my company. When I say my company I mean who I work for btw.. smile.gif SOL has been very good to me so I wanted to at least get some pics up on here.

I agree with you on the tank as well... Mike you may be right and it could be in great shape but I've replaced ruptured fuel tanks for guys before and its such a PITA! I will probably start looking into a replacement. Just to save my self from a big head ache 2 or 10 years down the road!

I have reused gas tanks when I restored old cars. They can be purged and pressure tested. If they hold, they can be reused, I know the marine environment can be tough, but aluminum is much more durable than steel auto tanks. But the pick up and gauge unit should definitely be renewed.

View PostIs that a Long Trail Unfiltered IPA I see off to the side? (good Vt beer on a R.I. shelf)

Why yes sir it is... and it is a GREAT beer... I love pretty much any IPA.. Dogfish Head is my fav. but long trail is GREAT as well.

View PostI have reused gas tanks when I restored old cars. They can be purged and pressure tested. If they hold, they can be reused, I know the marine environment can be tough, but aluminum is much more durable than steel auto tanks. But the pick up and gauge unit should definitely be renewed.

Interesting! Thanks for the advice Mike! I'll look into it...Literally!

I'm pretty damn excited to get back to work on her tomorrow night. Out comes the foam!! Should be a challenge but for some reason I'm really excited.