Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Belmo

Spinning rod: Reel spool to butt guide distance

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

View PostGet the stripper as far from the reel as you can without having any line slap.

I'm not trying to single out any individual -- I'm really not -- but I've been thinking about the sentiment in the above post (yes, I know I need to find something better to do in my free time).

For the sake of improving casting distance, I can understand the desire to get the butt guide as far away from the spool as possible. But a fishing rod does more than just cast, and for me at least, how the rod fights a fish is about as important as how well it casts. And a butt guide closer to the reel absolutely helps you when you're fighting a good fish.

Let's take a theoretical rod, say a 10-foot surf plugging rod, where casting effectiveness is an important consideration. We'll use an appropriately-sized reel, something about the size of a VS 200. Where would you put the butt guide, and (more important) why would you put it there?

I try and get the strpper guide far enough away from the reel that it doesnt appear to be trying to squeeze the line throught the guide but also close enough that the angle from the reel to the guide isnt to great under a heavy load. obvioulsy this would diff rod to rod

View Post But a fishing rod does more than just cast, and for me at least, how the rod fights a fish is about as important

so a rod with LC guide doesn't fight a fish good enough because the stripper is at 47" instead of at 22".

hmmmmmmm...

whatever, i'm still putting it at 47 or in my 13 AFAW surf at 51"!cwm27.gif

I'm not siding with anyone! LOL biggrin.gif

As a general rule I test cast then stadic deflect and then test cast again. Stadic deflection IMHO is more important than the test casting. Why you might ask? Because for me gaining a yard or two extra distance does diddly squat for CATCHING FISH!! I'd rather have a rod that performes %100 as a fish fighting tool and %75 as a caster than fish with the reverse.

But lets think about this: Lets say we have a mushy blank like a GSB1321L. Would you put lowriders on it just for the sake of putting lowriders on? For me the answer is NO. It doesn't do the blank any justice as a fishing tool. I would go concept with that one. LC's would place the stripper guide past the shut off point (if there is one) of that blank in some cases and that could cause problems with line angle and generally over stress that blank.

Now lets take the Rainshadow SU1509. Lowriders would suit this blank because of the amount of power in the butt section. The shut off point is pretty far from the butt section of this blank so you have your pick your guides.

If you put guides far out on certin blanks you will run into issues sooner or later. IMHO soft or very parabolic blanks are better suited to concept layouts while faster blanks will work either concept or LC's

I think that for the most part we as builders get hung up in the next new thing before we think of the fishability of a rod. It takes a while building to understand that we just build FISHING rods, not some high end decritive thing to hold while standing by the water. Now don't get me wrong the decritive stuff is half the fun of rod building but now I try to think more about the aplication of the rod I'm building than the astetics of the guides themselves.