Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

9inch verses 12inch sluggos

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

sluggo came out with the 12 inch big boys last year. Does that mean that 9 inch sluggos are now the size of choice? what gets your vote?? just killen time till spring and the RISSA and MSBA show.

For a lot of guys, the 7.5" is the size of choice.wink.gif I still use the 9" a lot though, esp in the fall. IMHO, the 12" might be too big to fish on a lead head. One, for the reasons Joe mentioned. Two, once rigged on a lead head, you'll have alomst 10" of bait wiggling behind the hook, inviting short hits and misses.

However, I've don't fish this way much, but I bet the 12" would be big medicine rigged with double hooks and no weight casting along a beach at night, just like a live eel.wink.gif

12" cast OK if rigged tandem and cast weightless... Fishing certain south side locations off of a jetty I cast them upcurrent and twitch them through the drift. just like I do with 4" sluggos in freshwater for LMB.

They seem to sink faster though, making fishing them in still water not as effective.

I fished the 12" dual hooked last season. A guy standing next to me was fishing them with a 3/4 lead head and was catching as consistent i was. Maybe better.

Some one above said something about having 10" of bait behind the hook if rigged that way...I fish eels from time to time, minimum of 14" long with a single hook out the eye. if i ever get short struck its a small fish.

Just food for thought smile.gif

New invention needed to fish anything bigger than 10" in the ditch. Lead head with a tandem hook. I think Hogy was working on one, but I did not see it in their recent catalogue. Bummer.

View PostDo any of you Ditch guys pour your own plastics?? I am just starting to experiment. Thinking about pouring some big stuff with weight in the molds. Maybe with the lead head in already too.

I dont but that is a very good idea, plus you will save a lot of money to.

View PostDo any of you Ditch guys pour your own plastics?? I am just starting to experiment. Thinking about pouring some big stuff with weight in the molds. Maybe with the lead head in already too.

Unless you go through an extrordinary amount of baits, or you're just looking for a hobby, don't bother. Do do it properly, it takes a lot of practice to get your mixtures right.

I looked into it a couple years back, and also spoke at length with some guys who were experts in this field. After the initial start up cost, and all the waste associated with the learning curve, you'd be way ahead if you simply just went out and bought the baits. Not to mention the noxious fumes the molten plastic produce.cwm31.gif