Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The BuzzardsBayBruin

Jigging techniques through the ice

23 posts in this topic

Hello there fellow hard water anglers. After this past week end chasing bass at one of the cape ponds I have been trying to get into jigging. My buddy and I only had a couple of flags in the first 3 hours but we noticed a small group of guys on the other side of the pond moving about 30 ft every 5 minutes or so. We thought they must have had alot of flags. Well as they passed us to head home to watch the big game we noticed their milk crates full of the biggest yellow and white perch ive ever seen and didnt have any traps at all.confused.gif They guy told me they were jigging them up. Not wanting to bother them, we didnt ask to see what it was that they were using.

I would love to catch one of these State pin sized fish on a little jig rod. Ive allways fished traps but only in the last two seasons have I even attempted jigging (with no luck at all). Ive read a couple articles and the most popular seem to be swedish pimples, rapala ice fishing jigs, small kastmasters and hopkins. Some guys like to put a piece of night crawler on the hook, some a piece of shiner. Ive even seen some teaser rigs set up similar to cod fishing. Another thing I noticed in the articles is how these jigs were used. Some guys barely move their rod tips while others move the jigs 3" to 1'. I have no problem putting the time in to learn, I was just curious to see what techniques you guys use. I bought a 24" HT Lite action ice rod 2 seasons ago and have it matched up with a 1500 shimano loaded with Vanish 10lb flouro. I have all the jigs listed above and am prepaired to try everything ive got. If you guys have any pointers to set me in the right direction that would be great Thanks!!!

Its a little late or I would show you what we use,Pics and stuff. Use mouses or meale'es on the end of your jigging lures. I like mouse's because of the tails

Drop the jig to the bottom,reel up a 1/2 crack and jig. In a few minutes the same ,etc. YOu are trying to find the water depth that the fish are at. Research is the biggest factor for ice fishing. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

View PostIts a little late or I would show you what we use,Pics and stuff. Use mouses or meale'es on the end of your jigging lures. I like mouse's because of the tails

Drop the jig to the bottom,reel up a 1/2 crack and jig. In a few minutes the same ,etc. YOu are trying to find the water depth that the fish are at. Research is the biggest factor for ice fishing. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I went ice fishing for the first time last weekend with skunkmaster and he showed me the same technique. We got nothing on tip ups but we had action all day on the jigs. good luck!

Depending on what you are jigging for, the line should be matched to the rig you are using. For instance, using an ultrlight rod/reel setup requires 2-6lb. test to really feel the bites, as some fish bite REALLY lightly.

A medium rod/reel setup can go from 6-12lb. test. The heavier the rod action, the bigger the fish you would be seeking, but that's not written in stone.

I have both an ultrlight an a medium cation setup to cover both possible options when out on a pond/lake.

As for tackle, I have an assortment of jigs from 1/16 & 1/8 oz. down to some micro perch/crappie/panfish jigs.

You are free to use whatever bait/lure you want, but the most popular would be tipping the jig with a piece of worm, small shiners, waxworms, mousies, dillies or maggots. Heck, I've gotten fish on pre-rigged crappie jigs that were nothing more than a micro tube on a 1/16 oz. jig (package deal at Wallyworld).

After you have done all this prep work, the REAL work begins....finding the fish. As Borntafish stated: try different depths until you get hits.

You may be lucky and get hits right near the bottom, or just under the ice, but when you start getting fish, keep at it and you won't be disappointed.

You may even get a surprise by getting a bigger fush than you g=had expected.

Imaging jigging for percha and crappie and nailing a 2-3 lb bass or pickerel?

It's happened to me and I'm sure it's happened to a lot of others.

Give jigging a chance and you won't regret it.

(Heck, it gives you something to do between flags.)

For Perch in NJ waters I've had my best luck with small Sweedish pimples. Don't know the weight, but they're about 3/4 in long. Always silver, but the backs a spash of color. Don't make a difference, red, chart, yellow or plain. Always used with the red flapper, not the yellow one. Mostly used with the trebles, unless putting a piece of chopped shiner, then the single. Mousies seem to add just the right flavor or aroma, but I've done well just with the plain jig. Drop to the bottom, come up about a foot, jig with the tip just comming up 6 in or so. Sometimes pull the thing up by an arms lenght and kind of bounce it on the way back down. Adjust speed, length of pull till you find out what the fish want.

Never had any luck with the rapalla jigging lures for some reason. Small castmasters also in silver work.

For bigger fish. pics walleys etc in deeper water, larger pimples, reef runners, 1/6 oz crippled herrings all will bring in fish.

They say if you haven't had a hit in 15 minutes it's time to move to a new hole. Also if you've got a fish finder or flasher you can adjust your target depth to where the fish are. But usually near the bottom works, at least here in NJ.

A good tip is to move around, if you find the fish you should get hits pretty quickly after dropped your jig down the whole, I found last time they loved hitting the jig on the drop.

Just getting back off the water. Got out there a little late around 12 and fished till dark. I got a couple nice perch on the tilt, but the best of fishing came on the jig. Sweedish pimples with the red tail and tipped with a piece of night crawler worked out the best. I actually was able to stay fishing the same 3 holes all day turning up fish after fish. I didnt hook any jumbos on the jig but all and all it was a nice day on the water. I look forward to trying the tips you guys gave me this week end thanks!beers.gif

View PostDepending on what you are jigging for, the line should be matched to the rig you are using. For instance, using an ultrlight rod/reel setup requires 2-6lb. test to really feel the bites, as some fish bite REALLY lightly.

A medium rod/reel setup can go from 6-12lb. test. The heavier the rod action, the bigger the fish you would be seeking, but that's not written in stone.

I have both an ultrlight an a medium cation setup to cover both possible options when out on a pond/lake.

Give jigging a chance and you won't regret it.

(Heck, it gives you something to do between flags.)

I plan on changing my ul over to 4lb test and I also plan on getting a M action set up at dicks tonite. I notice the smaller fish were hard to pick up. Also the hook set was tough on a couple of what seemed to be heavy fish. I dunno what they were, unfortunately I lost them before theygot to the hole. I had sharp hooks on, I just dont think that there is enough backbone to my rod to set the hook. Thanks for the advice. Tight lines!!!

if its perch your after try a jigging rap or small spoon like a kastmaster or pimple good luck!!! i have been doing well this season with both the perch and crappie on both of those lures

I just started ice fishing this year with a buddy who's been doing it all his life. Small castmasters/pimples or tiny chartreuse panfish jigs tipped with either a grub or fathead minnow have caught the most.

Drill a lot of holes at different depths and move around until you find the fish. You can get 2 dozen out of a hole, but nothing from another 5 feet away. I give a hole about 3 minutes before moving on, until we find fish.

The difference between a sharp auger and a dull auger is HUGE.

Small silver Kastmaster tipped with a wax worm is killer for all types of fish from a Bullhead to a Pike with everything in between. ONly thing better is a silver Halie Jig. thomT

Hit a local pond after work for a few hours took a bit of doing but finally got into some fish all gills with a few bass thrown in nothing big on the bass but a few gills were keeper size if I wanted then. Silver Kastmaster does it again. Probally ten feet of water ThomT