Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

Family Therapy Night 1

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My brother, SIL and myself are the oldest students there.

The nieces stay with the other kids, while the "big guys" (meaning ages 12 to 20 plus us three and one other lady closer to our age) work in another group.

Things I found out: My shoulder isn't well enough to do 25 pushups. I can do 10... but then the shoulder starts screaming. I had no idea. Maybe this will be good for it. I can do the other 15 with just my right hand and my knees down... but I can't freaking do 25 pushups with both hands. Sad. Sad sad sad.

When the instructor met with us beforehand, because we're "advanced in age" for his usual student body, we got to explain all of our malaises and the likes. When hearing I had that stomach surgery just a year ago and have 5 holes in my abs, he explained that he was pretty proud of me for being able to do the 50 crunches. cwm27.gif I am going to hurt like hell on Saturday. He also says I have to work very very very hard at defending my abdomen during sparring, because it's a definite weakness in a fight. No ****. And I have to really exercise and strengthen my left shoulder.

When sparring with a 12 year old who thinks he's Bruce freaking Lee, it really intimidates them when you just stand there (cause you're so freaking tired from sparring the other 8 people) and let him kick you and hit you and every once in a while throw a punch to his nose.cwm27.gifcwm27.gif Especially when his mother is watching, cringing. I asked her, while he's kicking me.. is this your son? She says yes and I'm worried because you look awful strong. I felt like telling her.. well then tell him to quit kicking me and I won't have to hurt him.

My SIL fights like a girl. I really hope that this does her a lot of good. She's always afraid when she goes out. Hopefully she'll get some confidence. When I was sparring her, she'd hit and back up. I kept telling her to just keep coming. I didn't want to hit or kick her. I'd have felt like crap. Even a light tap leaves a bruise on her.cwm31.gif

My brother and I had to have special uniforms, because we don't fit into normal sized ones. redface.gif They had to mix and match tops and bottoms so that I could breathe in the top. He's about 6'2" and weighs a SOLID 260. Size really does matter. It doesn't matter how much you try to hit or kick him. He just sticks one big paw out there and it blocks 3 out of your 4 limbs.

The only person my size for sparring with is the instructor. That sucks HARD.

I'm gonna really feel this Saturday. We're all bruised up. We've already decided to cut down on the soft drinks. Biiiig step for me.

I enjoy fighting.cwm31.gif Instructor says I have to get out street fight mode, though. My stance is all wrong for taekwondo. When we did the self defense classes for the fugitive extradition stuff, it was always a sideways stance, now I have to get used to a straight on stance. It felt GOOD to just go at it with someone. I can't get over how much fun it was. I also pretty much got my ass kicked by the instructor and he didn't break a sweat. cwm27.gif He was pretty happy with my "heart" though. Apparently not giving up when you're getting your ass kicked is a good thing. Who knew?

I think I'm going to enjoy this. Twice a week. And it's a pretty damn good workout. Even if we are old. But ask me again Saturday morning when I wake up and can't move. I might have a different feeling about it.wink.gif

wait till he picks you for all his demos since you're his size... wink.gif and whatever you do don't try and upstage him with a rabbit punch in the eye

nephew isn't in the class.... darnit.wink.gif

i'm a weeeeee bit sore this morning. redface.gif

and capper. i don't run. i am way too old to be running.cwm27.gif i'm just gonna have to get my ass kicked. my theory is... you might kick my ass, but you're going to know i was there when you wake up the next day. always been like that. no running. i don't like running. it hurts my boobs.

we considered that... but then decided being able to beat the crap out of each other two nights a week was much better (and much cheaper) biggrin.gif

View Postwe considered that... but then decided being able to beat the crap out of each other two nights a week was much better (and much cheaper) biggrin.gif

Also sounds like a lot more fun. Next time you get mugged while fishing, that person is going to wish him/her didn't do itwink.gif.

Cabo

View Post

My SIL fights like a girl. I really hope that this does her a lot of good. She's always afraid when she goes out. Hopefully she'll get some confidence.

Does she happen to watch a good deal of television, particularly the news and talk shows?

If so, it's possible that she just has a case of "Mean World Syndrome". And gaining confidence could be as simple as avoiding those people whose income level is determined by how well they terrorize impressionable folks. smile.gif

View PostDoes she happen to watch a good deal of television, particularly the news and talk shows?

If so, it's possible that she just has a case of "Mean World Syndrome". And gaining confidence could be as simple as avoiding those people whose income level is determined by how well they terrorize impressionable folks. smile.gif

DebbieDownerRachaelDratch.jpg