Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

Interseting bit of news posted on Gowge's board

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

The big yellow spinner has a new home....

http://www.abu-garcia.com/new/story.cfm?WhatsNewId=12

smile.gif I did break down and buy one myself, at a show a couple of weeks ago. Definitely looking forward to wringing it out. And I actually like the somewhat quirky look of the thing.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 01-18-2000).]

I bought the big yellow about 10 days ago. The thing grows on ya. Haven't used it yet, but it feels real nice. Even the color scheme is starting to look practical. I like this reel and everyone I've showed it to is pretty impressed with it. BTW, did you notice that the picture of the reel in the owners manual has the name " Nautilus " written accross the spool rotor. Last minute name change ?

Here's a good one for you! Yes, I love the big yella' reel...but Charlie noticed a lil' problem in their advertisment....below is a scan of 1/3 of their ad....check it out...you'll know why they can sell it for $150, they didn't waste much on getting a knowledgeable ad firm! biggrin.gif

Mitchell_1.jpg

It's a riot!

TimS

That's pretty bad. I imagine that with Berkley at the helm things like that snafu might be in for some better editing.

Brings to mind a Schaefer (sp?) beer ad which ran repeatedly in SWS back in the seventies. It featured a not very salty looking type perched in a skiff, and holding conventional boat rod and reel in the inverted position. The copy was ... "He's working on a more than one beer thirst"

wink.gif I think he and the camera crew may have gotten a head start on that.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 01-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 01-19-2000).]

Bill, I'm hopin' I got that little bug worked out! Let's see... a A AAA aaa....That ought to work.

As for the photo, it's not just that he's got the reel on upside down...look close. He's got a spinning reel on a conventional rod and the reel seat is facing down with the guides facing up...there's no way there's line threaded from the reel through the guides or it would be twisting with that bend in it. It's all wrong!!! biggrin.gif I guess the clue factories are getting behind again wink.gif

TimS

Hey....that's ME!!!! I think Hardy took that picture two years ago! Boy, you'd think we would have destroyed such evidence that Laurel and Hardy truly WERE dippy fisherman. biggrin.gif

--geoff

What can you say? Apparently this is the reel marketed by hammerheads for hammerheads smile.gif Pretty funny though, the details always seem to get you dont they?

------------------

John M

Ads like this one are not all that unusual. Take a look at some clothing ads that picture waders, jackets, hats, etc and a guy "casting" a surf rod with both hands on the butt like he's swinging a basebat bat.

If there was line coming off that reel, take a look at where the guy's right hand is and imagine what it would look like when he got that fish to the boat.

Some of the most unrealistic ad I've seen are for fly fishing, or ad's for things like SUV's with a guy flyfishing in the background. I always have to laugh at the casting technique used.... no way they are getting any more than 3 ft of line off the reel! Also, as Ditch Jigger says, ads for waders, etc. are also kind of fun to analyze. Even in catalogs like BassPro, Cabella's etc. You would think they would get it right in those "venerable" rolleyes.gif catalogs.