Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander1

Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500 ???

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I was looking at a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500 there is a button of some sort on the bottom and I forgot to ask what it does, what is the function of that? I understand the 2 side bars that prevent line from getting under the spool but this button doesn't seem to do anything.

Alos, the reel is humongus, weight is similar to Penn Z or VS but its gigantic, I know a couple hours of that along with an 11' stick and I'm going to be needing a chiropractor. Anyone plug the open beach with this reel?

View PostI was looking at a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500 there is a button of some sort on the bottom and I forgot to ask what it does, what is the function of that? I understand the 2 side bars that prevent line from getting under the spool but this button doesn't seem to do anything.

Alos, the reel is humongus, weight is similar to Penn Z or VS but its gigantic, I know a couple hours of that along with an 11' stick and I'm going to be needing a chiropractor. Anyone plug the open beach with this reel?

Yup. Some guys I take roosterfishing plug with it all day. But that's not to say you don't need to be in fairly good shape to do it! If you learn to off-the-ground cast (great for the open beaches) you will be sending out rockets with minimal effort. Please note that it does NOT have a waterproof drag and you should take out the drag discs BEFORE you rinse the reel down. If you don't, you will end up with a sticky drag.

Make sure you rotate the bail AGAINST the protrusion on the reel stem before you cast. If you fail to do this every time, you will encounter accidental bail closures in the middle of you cast.

The button recenters the internal bail trip mechanism. Some people think the protrusion on the stem is the bail trip. It is not. The protrusion is there to prevent rotation of the bail arms during the casting motion. - HPD

View PostExplain a bit more, please.

OK. The bail should be against the stem protrusion before casting. The button releases the anti reverse and allows the bail arms to rotate(backwards) so that it is in the correct position. On the other hand, you can always hand rotate the bail arms the other way (non-backwards and without having to push the button) to place it in the correct position. Few people use it. - HPD

View Post Please note that it does NOT have a waterproof drag and you should take out the drag discs BEFORE you rinse the reel down. If you don't, you will end up with a sticky drag.. - HPD

I was thinking of getting one of these for my surf rod this year. But, this does not sound good to me. Usually after every trip i just take a hose and wash down the reel. This would not work for the Daiwa Emblem Pro? Would it be better to not wash it down at all? Taking apart the reel to wash sounds nuts to me.

View PostI was thinking of getting one of these for my surf rod this year. But, this does not sound good to me. Usually after every trip i just take a hose and wash down the reel. This would not work for the Daiwa Emblem Pro? Would it be better to not wash it down at all? Taking apart the reel to wash sounds nuts to me.

Actually it's quite easy. Just slip out the retaining ring on top of the spool and dump the washer discs out into your hand. This should be done with ALL non-waterproof drags before rinsing them down. Failure to do this is the most common cause of sticky drags. - HPD

i just recently pick up a 4500 emblem and havent had the chance to try it out yet.i hair a lot of good stuff about them .im hoping to be able to cast farther with it.good luck with yours.

Hey all,

I like to introduce myself.

I am 53 years old. I am married and we have 3 children.

I'm a dutch beach fisher. I like to fish at the west coast (sandy beach) of Holland.

I go fishing about every 6-8 weeks. More time I can't find for my passion.

And, you already expected, I hav a question.

I have a 16' titanium rod (shakespeare) and I am looking for a new reel.

I think of a daiwa emblem pro 5500 because of it's 122 cm every turn.

Is there anyone who can advise me about this reel?

Thans.

Hey all,

I like to introduce myself.

I am 53 years old. I am married and we have 3 children.

I'm a dutch beach fisher. I like to fish at the west coast (sandy beach) of Holland.

I go fishing about every 6-8 weeks. More time I can't find for my passion.

And, you already expected, I hav a question.

I have a 16' titanium rod (shakespeare) and I am looking for a new reel.

I think of a daiwa emblem pro 5500 because of it's 122 cm every turn.

Is there anyone who can advise me about this reel?

Thanks.