Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerseydave

BIN Primer - spray can

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does this product seem to have too much pressure behind the paint?

I've been using it for a while and still can't get used to it.

I find it nearly impossible to lightly fog my plugs with small amounts of primer.

I don't know if it's the nozzle, the pressure, or the viscosity of the paint but I'm having a really hard time priming. I'd like to put a few DUSTING coats on to make up a base coat, but find myself getting runs no matter how little paint I attempt to apply.

I'm holding my plugs a good distance from the can (more than 12 to 14 inches) and am pulsing the paint rather than a constant spray, and am still getting much more paint than I want.

I've practically grown up with a spray bomb in my hand, and have never had this problem in over 35 years of painting.

Am I the only one?

Dave

View PostIs it just me or does this product seem to have too much pressure behind the paint?

I've been using it for a while and still can't get used to it.

I find it nearly impossible to lightly fog my plugs with small amounts of primer.

I don't know if it's the nozzle, the pressure, or the viscosity of the paint but I'm having a really hard time priming. I'd like to put a few DUSTING coats on to make up a base coat, but find myself getting runs no matter how little paint I attempt to apply.

I'm holding my plugs a good distance from the can (more than 12 to 14 inches) and am pulsing the paint rather than a constant spray, and am still getting much more paint than I want.

I've practically grown up with a spray bomb in my hand, and have never had this problem in over 35 years of painting.

Am I the only one?

Dave

no you are not, I hold it back about 24" and paint my hand usually, good times.

View PostDont get used to the extra pressure! By the thme the can is 1/2 empty it will be sputtering and spitting with not enough pressure! mad.gif

Mine spatters and sputters when low, but still has a lot of pressure.

I like the paint, just not the spray can.

I might buy the quart cans and try the airbrush to apply it.

At least then I get to choose the pressure.

Dave

View Postyou should buy it by the can, thin it, and dip your plugs

1000% easier, and much more economical as there isn't as much wasted paint like you get from overspray.

this process pisses me off, its either too thin or too thick, I tried using the oil based thinned with mineral spirits... cant get it right, Id rather spray it now.mad.gif

View PostI change the spray tip,

I use one from minwax poly, its sprays the way it should.

Make sure you clear the tip after each use by spraying upside down.

As GooGoo Man said, change the tip out. The ones that come with the can spray way too much paint out. I was using tips from Krylon cans and they worked. You'll get a nice fog and only need to paint about 8 inches away and you'll waste less paint.

Turn upsidedown and clear the tip and store the tips in a can/bottle of paint thinner.

View PostI change the spray tip,

I use one from minwax poly, its sprays the way it should.

Make sure you clear the tip after each use by spraying upside down.

I'll give this a try,

Thanks

Dave

View Postyou should buy it by the can, thin it, and dip your plugs

1000% easier, and much more economical as there isn't as much wasted paint like you get from overspray.

Don't you get runs and "dried drips" from the run off when hanging?

Dave

an old graffiti trick is to flip cans over and spray out some of the aerosol to lower the can pressure. Changing tips helps too. I have a bunch of different tips from germany that i use for graffiti if your interested i can mail you some. I havent tried em on BIN spray cans, i dip mine.

View PostDon't you get runs and "dried drips" from the run off when hanging?

Dave

no runs, usually just a small dried drip on the bottom, I just take a utility knife and cut it off flush with the lure bottom, no issues at all. It depends on the wood you are using too, for example mahogany needs a thicker mixture to fill the grain and get it nice and white.