Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Striper32

Learning how to cast conventional

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

clapping.gifHello all,another forum I would like to learn from.I am wondering if i could have some advice on casting conventional,everytime i make the attempt i am driven away from either lack of confidence or the proverbial nest.Maybe there is a video,or maybe you gents can offer some of your expertise to make it a little less challenging,I do want to learn,but do you start casting conventional at 57. I have a couple of squidders,squidder juniors,a 200 surfmaster i believe,or is it a beachmaster,even the small 940 levelwind,but still all new,never used because i tried a couple of times and was discouraged.any help?headscratch.gif Thanks.beers.gif

Patrick

hey, I bought brand new saltist20 which is my first conventional reel for upcoming season. I don't even have a rod for it yet. I've been watching my BIL throwing his 525mag on saltiga rod, and it didn't seem easy. He blew it up on every other cast. I really like to get some tips from the experts also.

You would probably do better with the bushing reels like the surfmaster and the beachmaster reels. Hopefully, you are using the aluminum or the plastic spools for casting. If not just thumb it lightly to give it a gentle lob until you cast comfortable lessening your thumb grip with a little more zing to your cast.

if the weather is warmer. even though im not a pro. caster.

i hang out around the shb pier alot near the belt ramp.

if time allows and is good, i can give ya some pointers.

Go to youtube.

Search for Breakaway tackle

Watch the casting videos.

Go practice.

Find some guys that know their stuff and ask questions, and listen.

Go practice.

Go Practice

Go Practice.

If you pull a 'Don King' with your setup...big deal, it's only line, and keep doing it.

Bighead

Pat. Wellcometo your new addiction. Try approx 10ft rod .Start by using 25or30lb mono andwhen filling the reel keep the line down 1/4" from topof spool flange.Tie on a 4oz weight and start by making slow smoooth casts with your thumb on the spool flange(side of spool). When sinker lands stopspool to stop backlash.AT THIS POINT DO NOT CAST ACROSS THE WORLD.

I'm not an expert. But there are some good suggestions listed above.

Don't expect or try to empty the reel. I'd spool the reel with some mono (You'll probably snap off a few casts, its easier to untangle than braid and its less expensive too). I'd suggest starting with short lob cast. Slowly increase your distance. Get a feel for how both your rod and reel will react and perform. Traditionally, each spring, I start by going to the local football field and cast some pyramid weights. Good luck!!

Fill the spool about 1/4" from the lip. Go out and walk off about 100 yards or so of line. Before reeling the line back in put a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the line left on the spool.

Now a backlash can only go 100 yards deep. Helps keep you from blowing it up too bad. Of course remove the tape before fishing.

If it were me I'd sell all those reels and buy a much more user-friendly Daiwa sha-20. Put clear brakes on the inside and red brakes on the outside of the two spindles. You'll be winging casts in no time and the only thumb you'll need is at touchdown.

Striper32, I wrote two books and helped produce a video on the subject of improving your Surfcasting skills. The books titles are "Power Surfcasting" and The best seller "The Ultimate Guide To Surfcasting"...... The Video called "Surf Fishing and Distance Casting" was produced by Laptewproductions.com and is sold on this web site. Hope This Helps.

Striper32,

None of the reels you mention have magnetic controls, and I'm not sure whether the Squidders have centrifugal brakes either -- I know the Beachmasters don't, since that's the reel I started on more than 4 decades ago. I still have that Beachmaster (a sad state of affairs that mainly speaks to how many years went by when I wasn't living anywhere near the ocean). But I magged it myself (very inexpensive -- the mags themselves are very cheap, but if you have a plastic or metal spool, you need to buy the aluminum version). Very simple and really helps control the reel.

(If you're interested, PM me and I can give you more info on the DIY magging.)

That said, you still have to clamp your thumb down when the weight/lure hits the water...

Barracuda

Striper32,

I am new to conventionals too. I just recently purchased a Saltist 30 and a 12' OM. I have yet to cast it but the weather is warming up and i am going to hit the park soon for some practice. My cousin who has experience with casting conventionals is going to join me to give me tips and demonstration. If i went myself i would probally blow up a few times and decide to go home for the day. If you know someone who can cast conventionals with success, my suggestion would be to have them go along with you to give you tips and advice. As i have yet to cast a conventional i am only saying this out of what i think might help ease the frustration of teaching yourself. Good luck to the both of us.

KJS

It also helps to make sure that you have a rod and weight that is nicely matched for the reel and line. Last fall I spent two hours with a friend who had never used a conventional reel. He was casting 6 ozs + bait by the end of the day. He was afraid to let it rip but had pretty fair casts with no blow ups. The trick was a nice match of rod and reel and the fact that he was conservative and listened.

A nice smooth cast will work much better than the barn burner and have less chance of becoming the thumb burner!!